Locating Eastern Box Turtles with Radio Transmitting Equipment

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools

Here's a link to some video footage of a recent trip where I was able to use radio transmitting equipment to locate Eastern Box Turtles (Terrapene carolina carolina) in the Northeast. It was a good thing that we had the transmitters on those turtles, as there wasn't a single turtle that wasn't dug deep into the leaf litter. Safe to say that we didn't find any animals that were new to the study.

Raph

5 Year Member
Hey my names Josh. I enjoy this kind of research. How can I get involved with it in western North Carolina?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Interesting work. My husband and I were just wondering how much box turtle populations must be down in our neck of the woods. In the spring 20 years ago, you couldn't drive anywhere in our small town without seeing a turtle or three crossing the road. It's now been years since we've seen one all year. Sad.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
The research proves what a large range they can use. Makes you really sad thinking about how isolated habitats can be and how the roads can just cut them into small sections that just aren't big enough.

Raph, I'm sorry but I don't know of anything in your neck of the woods. I encourage you to join your local herp society, make some contacts and keep working at it :)