Lllreptiles

kball

So I was looking at there care sheets for leopard and sulcata tortoises and I saw that the info was not %100 right from my readings on here for the sulcata and the leopard had almost no info at all. Did I read it wrong.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The care is below in my post. There may be others on here too. The leopard and sulcatas care is the same, except for the size difference.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I went and read it. It seems to be based on the same common misinformation that is out there circulating around the web and tortoise keepers. Their care sheet, like most care sheets, is rife with incorrect info and common misconceptions. Clearly written by someone who does not understand what has been learned about their care in the last few years. On the bright side, they do mention the humid hide thing, but I strongly disagree with much of the rest of it.

kball

I went and read it. It seems to be based on the same common misinformation that is out there circulating around the web and tortoise keepers. Their care sheet, like most care sheets, is rife with incorrect info and common misconceptions. Clearly written by someone who does not understand what has been learned about their care in the last few years. On the bright side, they do mention the humid hide thing, but I strongly disagree with much of the rest of it.
Thank u tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have talked to LLL about this subject. I had another forum member PM me with the typical hatchling dehydration problems. I was surprised to find out that she had bought it from one of the LLL stores and I was also surprised at how they were housing them. I called to talk to them and they confirmed what I was told about the substrate, no water bowl, no hide and infrequent soaks. I spoke to the store manager and had a conversation with her. At first she was understandably incredulous and quoted the old book info to me. I worked retail for 8 years, and every yahoo that walks through the door thinks they know more than you, and they don't mind telling you. So her response was understandable. Once she understood who I was and who I knew, she took the time to ask around and look into it. I'm happy to report that they did make some improvements and they are happy with the results. They still don't do it exactly the way I do it, but they are doing it better than they did in the past. This willingness to be open minded and try new things is to be applauded, because many stores are not open minded in the least. Anyhow, I think things could be better than what is on their care sheet, but it is still better than some of what is out there.