Lizard pollination

Status
Not open for further replies.

AldabraNerd

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Can't help myself when I saw this topic-area -- lizards are almost as cool as tortoises, and I worked on some gorgeous ones in Mauritius some years ago, and this topic still fascinates me. I was wondering if any of you, who have lizards as pets, have some info/stories to tell about your lizards and preferences/choice of sweet stuff?

Turns out, in the right kind of ecosystems (especially on a lot of islands), lizards can be pretty important pollinators of plants. Geckos are obviously especially elegant when they climb around on flowers, but also skinks, anoles, and many other groups have been observed licking nectar and pollinating plants.

Here are two examples from Mauritius - the blue-tailed day gecko on (in!) a Trochetia flower, and a Telfair's skink with its face covered in Latania (a palm) pollen:
n1tced.jpg

2ymc6dg.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Got no stories for you, but those are some great pics. Very cool.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I know the geckos of the Caledonian islands love to eat puréed baby food. I noticed mine go for orange and yellow over any other color. Great pics btw!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no cool stories either. Except the anoles I had kept getting out. Not easy to catch the little buggers. Oh, my Uromastyx keeps getting out too. My Bearded, well never got out, but did leave the log I had him on in the window once, after that I kept a closer eye on him. That's all I got. Love your pics though. The first little guy, looks really pretty. Would love to see his face if you have a pic of it.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Most, if not all Tropical Geckos are programmed to feed on ripe fruit or flowers, especially Phelsuma. Even the Geckos that are primarily carnivorous will do so if the opportunity presents itself..........

Status
Not open for further replies.