living in san diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
hey everyone. my name is james, and i have a ca desert tortoise. i have found a lot of info on sdturtle.org and now i figured i'd join a forum to learn some more! i've has 'captain' since last october. don't know the sex yet. he's just about a year old. here's a couple pictures of him!

Attachments

• captain.jpg
    captain.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 33
  • captain! 009.jpg
    captain! 009.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 29

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum James. Captain is a very nice looking DT. I have two adult males and 1 female I am currently fostering. They are filled to the brim with personality and so much fun. So you have had Captain almost a year. Looks like you have done a good job with him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi James: Welcome to the forum. Desert tortoises are really nice tortoises. I have some of my own, and desert tortoise make up the majority of the tortoises that come through my rescue. Mostly males. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Captain turns out to be male!! Looks like you have Captain set up in a pretty nice habitat. Thanks for the pictures.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi James...welcome:D Your DT is beautiful - I like his name too!

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
thanks everyone! i mentoined in my other thread that i'm always worried i'm doing something wrong, or he's not happy. seeing you guys say he looks great almost brings teers to my eyes! i love this little dood so much. he seems like a happy tortoise. he used to HATE being held and touched. but now i can hold him for a few minutes in my hand, rubbing his head or neck and his shell. i'll lay down sometimes and let him crawl on my stomach and my neck. it's funny when he pokes at my face trying to figure it out. he eats organic food only, and gets fed 2-3 times a day. i'm working on upgrading his diet. he is SUCH a picky eater. he has a very funny personality. he only comes out of his hide in the morning to watch my girlfriend change. seriously. once she's ready to go, he goes back into his hide. such a perv! hahah. i'm going to be changing his terrarium soon. one of the member mentioned glass isn't the best, so i will be looking at some different options soon. he doesn't like to bath much. he may dip his head for a minute or so, but then he's trying to escape. i soak him 2-3 times a week. did anyone here go to the annual turtle and tortoise show at balboa this year? i went and it was a lot of fun. i can't wait to get a sulcata tortoise! have to own a house tho, they get H U G E. i', only a year old in the reptile game. i'm getting a bearded dragon this week. once i'm old wrinkly and retired, i want to run a tortoise shelter. nothing profitable, just help out those in need!

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
oh, and the reason we named him captain... when i first got him, he would eat out of his dish with one foot raised up on the ledge, like captain morgan!!!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome James, Captain looks like such a sweetie, I have two DT yearlings (in sept), don't know if they are from CA or AZ. But I love there personalities, mine come running as soon as I walk in there room, it is so cute!! Anyways welcome and I can't wait to hear more stories about captain.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome James! So envious of your little guy, wish I could have one. :D He looks sweet! Love his name and the reasoning why.

Status
Not open for further replies.