Little tiny bugs found

Buddytheboxie

so this is the second time I found these bugs in Buddy's tank. So far they are only hanging around his water dish. Last time I took every thing in his tank and soaked in dawn soap and water for like a hour then cleaned everything out and put all new dirt in his tank. Well they are back..... I know for a fact they are not fruit flies for they are not flying around. Any idea what they are??? I tried taking pictures of them.

I want to know if they are harmful to my box turtle. They are tiny and white and might have a black stripe on them.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I'm having a hard time seeing them in your pictures but I know from experience that springtails can match your description and many box turtle and tortoise keepers report having had them at one point or another. Springtails are not harmful to our shelled friends and are found In many environments.

Search the internet for springtails and see if they look similar.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just about everyone gets them. Baking your substrate, 200-250 for about 3 hours will keep them away the longest.

Buddytheboxie

I'm having a hard time seeing them in your pictures but I know from experience that springtails can match your description and many box turtle and tortoise keepers report having had them at one point or another. Springtails are not harmful to our shelled friends and are found In many environments.

Search the internet for springtails and see if they look similar.

They kinda look like springtails. However these annoying things are all white with a horizontal black stripe (some have a stripe not all) and they move really fast. The spring tails I looked up are knots all black. Do you think thy are the same??
I attached a close up of the things

Attachments

• IMG_0043.PNG
    IMG_0043.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 31

Buddytheboxie

Just about everyone gets them. Baking your substrate, 200-250 for about 3 hours will keep them away the longest.
I will try this if I find more of them! If they are not harmful to him they can stay... lol but if they are I will do everything to get rid of them!!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
They kinda look like springtails. However these annoying things are all white with a horizontal black stripe (some have a stripe not all) and they move really fast. The spring tails I looked up are knots all black. Do you think thy are the same??
I attached a close up of the things
Check out this link: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/springtails/

There is a picture of white springtails, some of which have a dark stripe down their body. I'm assuming this is the contents of their digestive tract. I've noticed the same stripe on grub worms I find in the yard and even on shrimp from the market that haven't been de-veined. I had them in my box turtle tubs once and just tossed the substrate, scrubbed the tubs and replaced the substrate. I haven't seen any for 5 months now. Some say you can add pill bugs to the substrate and they will eat all the springtails eggs and interrupt the reproductive cycle.

Buddytheboxie

Check out this link: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/springtails/

There is a picture of white springtails, some of which have a dark stripe down their body. I'm assuming this is the contents of their digestive tract. I've noticed the same stripe on grub worms I find in the yard and even on shrimp from the market that haven't been de-veined. I had them in my box turtle tubs once and just tossed the substrate, scrubbed the tubs and replaced the substrate. I haven't seen any for 5 months now. Some say you can add pill bugs to the substrate and they will eat all the springtails eggs and interrupt the reproductive cycle.
Okay by the pictures and the description I am going with these are it. I did get new dirt and vacuumed the tank and cleaned everything by hand the last time and it was maybe less than 5 months ago. If they are harmless they can stay. I will probably wait till the summer to dig up some rolly pollys and put them in the dirt. But I will cross that bridge when I get there.
Thank you everyone!