Little slice of nature... Hamiltonii

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
WOW!!!

What a nice looking take and that cute little turtles. One of those day, I may like to have a tank like that too! ! !

Thank you for sharing it! ! !

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I LOVE your tank!
I've seen pictures of pond turtles, but black ponds turtles are just gorgeous! I love the unique shell!
Not a lot of knowledge on these guys, do they 'need' to bask? Just curious if you have a spot :D

Prairie Mom

Beautiful BEAUTIFUL tank and I've never seen a hamiltonii before. Your little guy may be the cutest turtle I've ever seen! My little girl was looking over my shoulder and we'd both like to know what you've named your turtle (I apologize if I accidentally skipped it)??:) Also, I'm curious how big he is expected to get and what is his typical life span? Thanks and AMAZING job! Your aquarium is to die for!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I LOVE your tank!
I've seen pictures of pond turtles, but black ponds turtles are just gorgeous! I love the unique shell!
Not a lot of knowledge on these guys, do they 'need' to bask? Just curious if you have a spot :D

Yup they bask a good amount. Look in the right corner. I have a piece of wood coming out of the water.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Beautiful BEAUTIFUL tank and I've never seen a hamiltonii before. Your little guy may be the cutest turtle I've ever seen! My little girl was looking over my shoulder and we'd both like to know what you've named your turtle (I apologize if I accidentally skipped it)??:) Also, I'm curious how big he is expected to get and what is his typical life span? Thanks and AMAZING job! Your aquarium is to die for!

They can get as big as a slider. But they are bulkier so they look like tanks. They are pretty similar in care to sliders except they don't hibernate. Like all turtles life span depends on care of the individual and genetics. He'll probably live 20-40 years.

Prairie Mom

They can get as big as a slider. But they are bulkier so they look like tanks. They are pretty similar in care to sliders except they don't hibernate. Like all turtles life span depends on care of the individual and genetics. He'll probably live 20-40 years.
Have you named him? :)

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
They grow longer than sliders, and ARE much bulkier, so big hammies probably weigh at least twice as much as a large female RES.

I haven't seen many male hamiltonii that are longer than a large female slider. Are you speaking only of females or were males included in your statement?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
For hamiltonii, both sexes will get larger than a female slider, if my memory serves me right. That's why I didn't specify. I'll show you a video clip I have of a pretty large one.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
A month or two back I acquired a geoclemys hamiltonii. Around the same time I became obsessed with aquascaping. So I ordered an acrylic tank. Equipped it with hundreds of dollars worth of lights, filters, plants, substrate, driftwood, stone and fish. And ended up with something I am really pleased with. First I will show the hamiltonii in his prior enclosure and then I'll show off his new tank.

This was at pick up
View attachment 114587
Thought I had better pics....
View attachment 114588
View attachment 114589
And the new tank
View attachment 114590
View attachment 114591
View attachment 114592View attachment 114593
Here's the light setup
View attachment 114594
View attachment 114595
View attachment 114596View attachment 114597

Thanks for looking! It can only get better as it grows in. Current fish are 8 Cardinal tetras
3 Serpae tetras
1 endlers livebearer
3 corydoras sterbai
3 otocinclus

Love these turtles. Might be adopting some yearlings from the behler chelonian center soon. Maybe get a breeding group going in the future.

Thanks
Kevin

Absolutely love it!! Cant do any of this with my ybs and res . it will all get torn apart lmao...

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I just now found this thread. Very cool stuff Kevin with neat photos. Thanks also for the input Anthony.
Yeah hamiltoni are impressively beautiful turtles---variable too as some are much more spotted than others.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I just now found this thread. Very cool stuff Kevin with neat photos. Thanks also for the input Anthony.
Yeah hamiltoni are impressively beautiful turtles---variable too as some are much more spotted than others.

Thank you. Since the Sinensis are in a new enclosure, I'd love to get a species that would work well in a planted habitat. Been thinking about Pelusios Nanus, but so hard to find LTC or CB animals. Chinese Big Heads are another dream species, but I'd want to create a really great habitat with a climbable waterfall if I were to get them. Maybe it'll just remain the hatchling tank. If I can get some plants really rooted, it could be perfect for all kinds of species and just a fish tank when not occupied. We'll see...