Little Jack

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Jack was the ninth and final egg to hatch of a clutch of eggs that hatched back in September. He hatched on September 30th and I noticed right away that his bite was abnormal, as I could see a bit of his tiny tongue when he would poke his head out of his egg. I was really worried about him when he wasn't eating well initially but with a little help, he gained strength and now eats alongside his siblings. He struggles a bit but he is extremely determined and what he lacks in bite, he makes up for in personality and pure grit. I just adore him!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446514162.899606.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446514225.623253.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446514243.230341.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446514264.733469.jpg

And last but far from least, a little video of Jack attacking some cactus with a little help from me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He should be a John Wayne, Pure Grit (true Grit)get it? Okay, your probably too young and I'm a John Wayne fan.
Anyway, glad he's doing good. So, how many of your hatchlings are you keeping? For some reason, I just can't see you getting rid of any:D

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
He should be a John Wayne, Pure Grit (true Grit)get it? Okay, your probably too young and I'm a John Wayne fan.
Anyway, glad he's doing good. So, how many of your hatchlings are you keeping? For some reason, I just can't see you getting rid of any:D
I'm not too young. ;)
He does have the true grit hehehe.
I'm going to try really hard not to keep them all! :D
But....Jack may have to stay. He's my buddy lol.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Jack was the ninth and final egg to hatch of a clutch of eggs that hatched back in September. He hatched on September 30th and I noticed right away that his bite was abnormal, as I could see a bit of his tiny tongue when he would poke his head out of his egg. I was really worried about him when he wasn't eating well initially but with a little help, he gained strength and now eats alongside his siblings. He struggles a bit but he is extremely determined and what he lacks in bite, he makes up for in personality and pure grit. I just adore him!
View attachment 154460
View attachment 154462
View attachment 154463
View attachment 154464

And last but far from least, a little video of Jack attacking some cactus with a little help from me.

Might hurt, looks like he probably bites his tongue a lot when he chomps, but he's also so very hungry, as babies get when they are growing, by the wonderful video. I am so glad Jack has you to help him test his food and pay attention to his hydration needs. He is lovely, thank you for sharing him with us, I followed the link here from the Facebook posting.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I just looked at the fb post and it has 1.5k likes. He's stealing a lot of hearts! :)

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
View attachment 154460
View attachment 154462
View attachment 154463
View attachment 154464

Pretty sure little baby angel Jack wants to come and live with me. LOL Please continue to post so we can see his/her progress? So glad he has you personally!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
****UPDATE****
Little Jack just surpassed 100 grams. He is 3 months and a week old. He will be 4 months old at the end of January. He hatched with an underbite and struggled to eat properly and had to have his food shredded into tiny bits. I spent quite a bit of time hand feeding him and making sure he was eating enough. He quickly figured out what worked best for him and his personality blossomed alongside his determination to devour every last morsel he could find. His underbite hasn't slowed him down a bit. He's such a neat little guy.

Here he is on September 30, 2015.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452495193.262702.jpg

And now:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452495155.524619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452495263.806317.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452495296.942966.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452495395.540007.jpg

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm so glad you two have each other! I've been following, you are doing an amazing job with this precious little Spirit. Thanks for posting updates on his life!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Looks really cute!! One of my adult females has a bite like that and she is surviving just fine! He'll adjust and move on to be an great old tort. :)

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
:<3::tort: Lil Jack is adorable! Way to be tough lil guy! I love the pic with his legs sprawled out relaxing under the heat