Liquid/bubbles coming from my red foot tortoises eye. Help please

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Hey guys just wanted to know if this is normal. Got him a few weeks ago and the bottom of the shell was always weird but didn't think anything of it. Bubbles were only noticed today. Anyone know anything about this? He's a red foot. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443891174.814092.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443891185.357465.jpg

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there, can i ask you to post up as much information as you can about how you house your little one if you can please. hopefully zeropilot will be able to help you

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
sorry, just realised you were asking about the eye. what kind of bulbs do you use, are they coil?

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
sorry, just realised you were asking about the eye. what kind of bulbs do you use, are they coil?

Closed chamber. 80-90% humidity at all times. Coco coir later with cypress mulch on top. 10.0 UVb light. No coils, 92 degree basking area with CHE at night around 82 degrees at night which on the other side is 72. Humid hide with sphagnum moss. Two spider plants inside. The only thing may be his diet. Doesn't like the reptivite calcium with d3 or the cuddle bone I offer. Spring mix, strawberry, tomato, Apple, carrots, mango, banana are some of his basic diet. He had this stuff on his shell when I got him..may have spread a tad but not a lot.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Please check out this thread for shell rot: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/shell-rot.90983/#post-847842

My cherryhead had the beginnings of a fungal infection not long after I got him. I used a toothbrush (dedicated to his use only) to brush anti fungal ointment (athletes foot cream) on it twice a day for ten days, and it went away. Please take care of this early, and it should be okay.

As for the eyes, it could be dehydration. My little guy tears up when he's not in a humid environment.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My leopard female gets foamy bubbles like that when she is stressed and hot. A good soak always clears it up.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm sure I read somewhere that runny eyes in a redfoot is a sign of low humidity/too dry but yours seems quite high.
Maybe check your readings with another meter in case it is faulty.
I hope all is well for him soon.

yillt

That certainly looks like shell rot. My tortoise once ate a bad berry and had bubbles from eyes, the vets soon confirmed he was fine though, did yours eat anything odd?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Definitely shell rott.
When I have treated Redfoots with this, I have removed the moist substrate and put paper towels down while treating him. Muon don't want the ointment to get on the substrate.
He should remain I. His high humidity enclosure in dry bedding.
Rub Clotrimazole, which is in athletes foot cream, in the shell two times daily.
I would also clean shell with a soft toothbrush and water, then dry, before each application of ointment. This will rapidly improve.
Let us know if he blows more bubbles.
Good luck.