1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

lines on my russian tortoise egg

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by Iris Sophie, May 29, 2016.

1. Iris Sophie

Iris Sophie New Member

Hello!
    I'm new to this forum. My female russian tortoise laid an egg about 5 and a half weeks ago, and I have it in vermiculite in a hovobator incubator. I have been opening the incubator briefly to add water, as I was told to make sure that the vermiculite stayed moist. A few days ago I checked and took a quick picture (first one), and see some small lines starting to form. When i looked today, the lines were far more pronounced, and I believe had been stained by vermiculite. I am not sure if this is bad news for the egg, and would appreciate any advice!
    Thank you!
    20160527_215053.jpg 20160529_143401.jpg
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I haven't hatched any Russian eggs, but from what I've read, it is a mistake to keep Russian eggs too wet. If it were me, I would change out the vermiculite to some that is barely moist, and only keep a little cup of water in the incubator for moisture in the air.

Seems to me I remember reading that when Russian eggs are kept too moist they absorb too much moisture and it causes the shell to crack.

Just dry it out like I said above, and keep your fingers crossed.
  3. Iris Sophie

Iris Sophie New Member

Thank you so much, Yvonne! There is no smell to it, so I am hopeful!