Lighting question

a6t9vette

My family just got a ~6 mo Eastern Hermann and I have spent quite some time trolling the site over the past few weeks.

My first question seems to tie to a debated topic but might be an off shoot on the safety (eyes) of CFL bulbs. Most refer to the ones which potentially caused/contributed to eye issues as the coil type. I'm currently using a CFL but not a coil:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8RHTYU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Is there also concern with this type of bulb as it's not a coil? It seems that this bulb I'm currently using is really just a different form factor of the other tube bulbs which there seems to be no debate on. Thanks for any input.

Bob

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, that is a coil type. Any where the bulbs have a turn in them. Round bulbs like a Mercury vapor bulb with UVB or a straight UVB florescent bulbs are the only real known safe ones.
Not every tortoise has a problem with the coil. We have seen a lot that do. We, most of us don't chance it. Specially when they are used in a fixture that points the bulb down instead of holding it cross way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have it mounted horizontally, it should be ok, but bear in mind those bulbs don't put out much UVB.

The best type to use is one or the other of these:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg UVB light.jpg

With the one on the left you get UVB and heat all in one bulb. The one on the right only provides UVB.

save08_small.jpg

a6t9vette

Interesting that you both talk mounting orientation. I currently have the bulb in a double (mini combo deep dome fixture) paired with a 100w ceramic emitter which is hanging so both are in the vertical orientation. Not really seeing how orientation would have an effect on this. Seemingly your saying this is bad.

(Nice Vette. Had mine years ago same blue have just kept the same handle on forums since out of habit)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Not mine - just took a picture off the 'net in honor of your username)

Those bulbs send a concentration of UVB rays out the end of the bulb and this concentration is too strong for most tortoises' eyes. It causes a problem similar to snow blindness and is very painful.