Lethargic yellow-foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Hey guys, I've noticed one of my adult yellows is slowing down. I know she is ill, but can't figure out why. I've had my share of respiratory infections which I treat with Baytril and they always clear up. This is different. Nose is clear, no congestion, eyes have been clear until today, ate good yesterday. She stays in the water quite a bit.

She is still very strong, but I know something is wrong. I'll take her to work tomorrow and try to get a stool sample from her to check for ova. She wouldn't eat today, and seemed more lethargic today than the past days. I keep her the same as my other red and yellows. Anyone had a similar problem? How did you treat it? Thanks.

-Matt

M

Maggie Cummings

About a week ago I was having the same problem with a small tort. She's been acting exactly as you describe but she had stopped eating. I knew she was sick but couldn't figure out why. So now 8 days have passed she's not eaten at all and sleeps all the time. I pulled her out today for a soak and there were serious bubbles coming out of her nose and thick mucous from her mouth. I wiped her face and soaked her and the bubbles came from her nose again but no thick mucous. The point of this story is that she must have come down with this resp infection without the tell-tail signs such as the bubbles. Now that I see them I know what to treat her for. But why did it take 8 days for the bubbles to appear??? Anyhow, that's my story, maybe yours could be the same... a resp infection without the bubbles.
I get frustrated too because she's had the best of care and is set up nicely. We haven't had any warm weather so she hasn't been outside yet. She's set up inside and I know my husbandry is good. So what would cause her to get this resp infection? Her substrate is moist, her diet has been good, Trex 100 watt bulb that is fresh. I simply can't figure out what made her sick and it's frustrating to me...good luck with yours.
She's not a Yellow or Redfoot, but I thought I would share the story anyway...

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Maggie, yours may have pneumonia by this point. I have easy access to Baytril and Amikaysin to treat URIs, but this is different than what I normally see. I suggest you get yours to a vet quickly for radiographs to see if there is any fluid in the lungs. They are extremely hard to treat by that point.

Thanks for the kind words Tortoisenerd!

-Matt

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It could be protozoa Matt. It makes them go off food, get lethargic and want to soak all the time.

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Thanks Danny. I guess I should treat with Flagyl? I only have it in pill form, 250mg/kg. I'll figure out the dosage today when I get to work. I guess I'll have to use a feeding tube. It'll be hard to open her mouth since she's still pretty strong at this point.

-Matt

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes Flagyl is it. :) It only comes in pill form as far as I know.

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I took a fecal sample to work today and found some interesting organisms. Looks like some protozoa, amoeba, and some tiny flagellates. I took a video of it with my phone through the microscope for you guys to see. It's really quite interesting. Much different than the boring rounds, whips, and coccidia that I see on a daily basis. I crushed some Metronidazole up and gave it to her through a curved tip syringe. I got most of it down her. I'll keep it up for about a week and see what happens. I'll load those videos when I get home.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.