lethargic Leopard tortoise.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My Leopard tortoise is almost 6 years old, and is finally getting to spend a good part of his day in his outdoor pen. I live in Spokane Valley WA so for the last couple of months have only been putting him out a few hours on the nice days. He is usually all over out there. He spends winter's n nights inside. It gets below 60 even in summer usually. It is unusually hot here right now, upper 90's. He does not seem to be enjoying being outside n is just hiding out. There is grass, hills, hobbits house hides n several shade areas as well as fresh water. Is it too hot for him? Or should I be concerned something else is wrong. My hatchlings have also been out in their pen a lot n seem to be remaining active. Thanks for your input.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, that temp will keep them in the coolest spots they can find and won't be doing much of anything. If the wild, they would not be out and about during those temps. They would go our for grazing early in the morning or later in the cooler late afternoon.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Does he have shade to retreat to? How about cool burrow like shelters?

90s is definitely warm out and you need to provide a cool retreat.
He does have really long grass which is what he likes best. There are several other shade plants and 2 hides that are kind of like hobbits houses. I cut the side out of really large planters and covered them with sod so they are partially underground.