let me introduce myself

watom

Hi all. Just to say we collected "tiny" on Saturday and he is settling in well. I have yet to see his full character as its early days, but he seems placid. He has eaten a little and had 2 good soaks in warm water. Will post pics when settled.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi all. Just to say we collected "tiny" on Saturday and he is settling in well. I have yet to see his full character as its early days, but he seems placid. He has eaten a little and had 2 good soaks in warm water. Will post pics when settled.
Looking forward to pics.

Glad your tort has settled down.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
My name is Nicola and I live in a small town in north Shropshire.
I was fortunate to be gifted a hermanns last year. We did a lot of research and support from his rescue mommy (a veterinary nurse who had rescued many) she was a great help and is still there if needed. I have since joined the bcg. I think the creatures are so misunderstood and find "little man" fascinating, he is still a baby at 6.
At Xmas my hubby offered his workshop to me so we can extend our family :) I have no other animals as I have allergies but the torts seem to suit me. I will add pics on this threw of our current enclosure and the cheeky fella.
I am hopefully adopting a leopard in a month or so, but will have room for more.

View attachment 197954 View attachment 197955
Wonderful!! I want to live there!!

watom

Hi all, can anyone give me advise on how to clean my leopard? He has a soak in warm water and is gradually getting used to us. He could do with a good scrub!!! What does everyone recommend? Thanks

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi all, can anyone give me advise on how to clean my leopard? He has a soak in warm water and is gradually getting used to us. He could do with a good scrub!!! What does everyone recommend? Thanks

I use a soft toothbrush every now and again, to clean Oli.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks, he likes it warm, i guess a change in water often may be the case. i have given him time to settle in so now the cleaning must commence
Oh yes, that's another point. I change the water if necessary.

Apologies - I forgot to mention that.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Do you use anything in the water?
No cleaners, just water and worn down very soft brush during soaking towards the end when everything is nice and soft. Some of us here also use extra virgin (cold pressed) organic coconut oil to condition our torts shells/scales/skin. Myself I'm a "coco oil massage fanatic":). I think after few sessions things should start coming off your little Tiny. It also helps when their housing ambient humidity is high (at least 80%), so dirt doesn't get baked on in all the crevices. Mine get hard water stains on them and I often resort to dipping their cleaning brush in coco oil and do some "tickle-scrubbing" (they looove it!!!!) with that. Not only do the above" cleanse those shells and scales but also in part make it harder for new dirt/stain to get in, bcs the polished surface is not as easily absorbent as dry and porous one that "hungry for moisture". Now i realize that here I'm touching on some controversial topic so let me just say this as a disclaimer: good or bad- I like it, and my torts like it, it has worked for me and my torts very well for us over the past almost 2 yrs and this post is not intended to challenge keepers who believe and practice "aux naturelle" letting their torts be TORTS and be dirty like they are in their natural habitats

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
One more thought, i suppose if you really wanted to, you could use little gentle soap to soap up your scrubbing brush to gently scrub off those stains. It will probably take more than one bath to see significant difference. If you do go that route, do it only under running water like in the sink so the soap gets rinsed off quickly and thoroughly and tort doesn't drink/absorb through the vent water with soap suds. That would not be good for him. Also keep that away from his eyes. Nnnnnahhhh! That's why I wouldn't bother with the soap for cosmetic reasons. Too much trouble for nothing bcs he's gonna get filthy very soon after that anyway:)

watom

By the way @watom , any pics of your tort and his enclosure?
Tbh we need to do more work on his side of the garden. He has a home inside the shed, a bit basic at the moment but has a heated/lightuv area and a bed area. We do have more to do, he has a hatch to acess outside. He has been out on the grass but the weather has been rubbish and we need to replant a few areas. It was a quick rescue as his house had been crushed by a tree at his former residence. So we have done our best. Theory is he was kept in a Viv in the house in the interim period.

watom

One more thought, i suppose if you really wanted to, you could use little gentle soap to soap up your scrubbing brush to gently scrub off those stains. It will probably take more than one bath to see significant difference. If you do go that route, do it only under running water like in the sink so the soap gets rinsed off quickly and thoroughly and tort doesn't drink/absorb through the vent water with soap suds. That would not be good for him. Also keep that away from his eyes. Nnnnnahhhh! That's why I wouldn't bother with the soap for cosmetic reasons. Too much trouble for nothing bcs he's gonna get filthy very soon after that anyway:)
I just want to get him back into condition. He is such a softy and a little shy still, but so needs a scrub!!! I have taken it slowly, will look for some coconut oil

watom

This is tiny - we call him big man. He has had a scrub with a toothbrush and now is a bit cleaner he is a little timid still but such a gentle soul xx

Attachments

• WP_20170326_17_02_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170326_17_02_18_Pro.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 17