Leopard tortoise - possible RNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nupek

5 Year Member
Three weeks ago we have bought a 6-months old Leopard tortoise, thought to be a female. She weighted 144 g. Her appetite is not the best, but she is growing around 5-8 g per week. Around week ago I noticed that sometimes she lets out the wet bubbles through her nose. It doesn't happen very often - I see it twice or thrice per day. Other than that she is moving a lot, has no signs of feeling bad but I'm afraid that she may have RNS or some other infection.

A little background:
- she lives in a wooden terrarium that is open in the top, 120 cm on 80 cm
- the substrate is a mix of soil/sand to which I added some bark - which I think now was a bad idea
- since we live in Sweden and it is winter here, she is kept indoors all the time now
- she does not like grass or hay and prefer dandelion and plantain and other weeds - by mixing some of it with grass it is possible to make her eat just a bit of grass; we feed her two times per day but often see that she acts as if she was hungry during the day
- the temperature during the day is from 31 (warmest place) to 21 degrees; during the night it does not drop below 21 degrees
- we had some problem with humidity and it was too low for a week or so; currently it is around 40-50% always
- we soak her every other day
- she poops very rarely - once every 3-4 days even though she eats quite a lot.
- she has some opuntia, grass and moss in her terrarium but does not try to eat any of it
- we have no other animals.

The main concern is that she has some very early stage of RNS. Does the healthy tortoise make those bubbles from time to time? What are other symptoms? Should we contact a vet or wait a bit? is she pooping too rarely?

Thank you in advance for any advice and if you need more information, just let me know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi nupek:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Do you think her appetite is good? If she's eating good and acting normal, then I wouldn't worry about the odd bubble or two. The other end of the nostrils ends up in the roof of a tortoise's mouth, not down its throat, so occasionally you might see something from the mouth come out the nose.

If her appetite diminishes, or if the bubbles turn to a thick mucous, then I'd get the tortoise to the vet.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
She isn't pooping too rarely if she is eating, because that means that she is going but you probably cannot see it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Can you get bagged salad mixes ? look fro Spring Mix. She needs to be warm, if she gets chilled she will get sick.
What kind of lights are you using? calcium?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it were me I would raise the cool side temps to 80 ish and the hot end basking spot to 90-95 ish, especially if you are concerned with the tortoise possible under the weather....IMHO.

I would also change the substrate to not include sand, this is just my personal issue. I do not think that it offers enough of a benefit in exchange for the added exposure to impaction....again, IMHO :D Also, soil mixed with a coco coir type substrate would be my preference and not so much on the bark :p

I am in agreement with Yvonne, a clear bubble from time to time is not enough to spark worry...especially since she is eating and acting normal....and if you bump the temps for awhile it will likely help her kick anything that may be trying to start...if anything.

Also, I would be certain to have a night heat source as well, so that her temps don't drop below 78-80 ish.....

Ooooo, I apologize;

Welcome to the Forum :D We LOVE PICS :p

nupek

5 Year Member
Hi,
thanks for answers, everyone, and for the warm welcome. I have noticed that the bubbles are gone (at least I haven't seen them in a week or so). I use the UVB linear bulbs, there is also a hot spot (75W if I remember correctly). I'm quite curious about the bagged salad mixes - according to my information most of them are not proper for tortoises. That's why the winter is such a challenge for me and tortoise - as she would only eat the dandelion and plantain and grass is bad and hay is even worse. But for now, I would keep believing that she did not bring any illnesses from the breeder.

M

Maggie Cummings

Wait...what do you mean that "grass is bad and hay is even worse"? Grass is good for tortoises and hay is good as well...

nupek

5 Year Member
maggie3fan - sorry for my language, I meant that she will not eat pure grass or hay and prefers weeds. We are introducing grass and hay by mixing it with weeds and hope she will not notice or mind too much. I know it is basic food for leopard tortoises.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
While weeds and grass are first choice....when winter months roll around you will need to supplement with the best choices you have...if you purchase organic herb mix along with organic spring mix/baby lettuce mix your tortoise will eventually acquire a taste for these things...when the weather turns favorable for all of the ideal weeds and goodies then of course those can be the primary diet.....you know? IMHO :D

Status
Not open for further replies.