Leopard Tortoise Outdoor Time

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
Hey Everyone,

I put my leopard tortoise outside in an old chicken tractor 4-5 times a week for several hours at a time. It is a very young tortoise, so all it really does is buries it self in grass completely out of site. I provide plenty of shade so that it does not overheat, but there are areas that are exposed to natural sunlight, however, I never see it basking in those areas. I live in South Louisiana where the summertime temps average in the 90's and the humidity is consistently in the 60-70% range during the peak of the day.

My question is, and pardon my ignorance, but is the tortoise being exposed to natural UVB if he is not in the direct sunlight?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. He is doing what he would do if in the wild. They are easy prey, so they will hide. Just be sure there is plenty of shade and a shallow water dish near him that he can get into and drink from. Also give him a warm soak when you bring him back inside. If you have a temp gun, it would help to temp the shaded area to be sure it is cool enough. Like 80-85. When we have our really hot and humid days, 90 and above 70% humidity, I don't put my hatchling outside. Babies can over heat quickly. This is where it would help knowing the shade temp.