Leopard tortoise outdoor enclosure

Caden532

Hello! I am new to the forum I have a 5 year old leopard tortoise and am planning to keep him outside 24/7 later this year. I was wondering if I should provide him with a separate heated and humid hide, or a combined one, and which to put him in during the night, during the day he will have shade and a cool, dry hide, along with the warm/humid one. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!:D:tort:

Caden532

And I just wanted to make sure that a bit of pyramiding was okay, I have always raised him dry, and have just recently learned of the method of raising them quite a bit of humidity. I am growing grass for him and providing zoomed grassland tortoise mix, I'm trying to add a bit more variety than I ever have. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where do you live?

He should have a secure "temperature controlled" night box. Meaning it should be on a thermostat that will keep it off on warm summer nights, but give him heat as needed, on any other night.

Caden532

Wow that was fast. I live in SoCal, so does he need the humidity in that hide?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow that was fast. I live in SoCal, so does he need the humidity in that hide?

Yes.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

I've tried shed's, rubber made deck boxes, igloos, dog houses, CHE's, heat lamps and a bunch more stuff, and none of that worked for me. The above threads are the result of many years of trial and error. I hope they help you skip to the head of the line and get it right the first time.

Caden532

Yes.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

I've tried shed's, rubber made deck boxes, igloos, dog houses, CHE's, heat lamps and a bunch more stuff, and none of that worked for me. The above threads are the result of many years of trial and error. I hope they help you skip to the head of the line and get it right the first time.
Thanks! Just wondering, what temperature do you usually keep your boxes at? And what humidity?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I also have a 5 year old leopard. He lives outside, full time, with a heated tortoise house modeled after Tom's. The thermostat turns on/off the mini oil filled radiator to maintain 80°F. To maintain humidity, I use damp coco coir/ coco husk as a substrate. BUT to prevent a moldy plywood floor, I lined the bottom with vinyl flooring. Has worked wonderfully.

It's held up for maybe 3, 4 years now? Although I'm planning to build him a new, bigger house this summer and we'll do the same thing in his new house.

Caden532

I also have a 5 year old leopard. He lives outside, full time, with a heated tortoise house modeled after Tom's. The thermostat turns on/off the mini oil filled radiator to maintain 80°F. To maintain humidity, I use damp coco coir/ coco husk as a substrate. BUT to prevent a moldy plywood floor, I lined the bottom with vinyl flooring. Has worked wonderfully.

It's held up for maybe 3, 4 years now? Although I'm planning to build him a new, bigger house this summer and we'll do the same thing in his new house.
How big did you end up making yours Gomberg? And do you lock your tortoise in the house each night? And what foods do you normally provide to the tortoise that isn't already growing in the enclosure?

Last edited:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
How big did you end up making yours Gomberg? And do you lock your tortoise in the house each night? And what foods do you normally provide to the tortoise that isn't already growing in the enclosure?

I built the house 2x4 and 2' tall. I have a few threads on my build.

Yes, his door is closed and latched shut every night and then opened every morning, regardless of the weather.

I don't provide food. He has access to the entire backyard and the lawn is full of different grasses and weeds that are tortoise friendly. He has such a variety, I can't even list it all! (We'll, I could if I tried....) He hasn't had Mazuri in over 2 years. I don't have a local source selling it and I never get around to ordering it online. Who knows, maybe someday I'll put that back into his diet. :rolleyes:

When we have company or my kids have friends over, they like to hand feed him. I'll give them some of our lettuce and they think it's so cool. ;)

I see him outside daily. I especially like seeing him graze through the kitchen window while I'm doing dishes ;) He feeds himself, drinks/self soaks on his own, basks on rocks and puts himself away every night. He's the easiest pet! I love him.
Periodically, I look him over for injury or signs of trouble but I often go days without interacting with him. Only a quick glance into his house to ensure he's there before locking up at night is common.

Then again, once summer comes and I'm outside more in my pink garden crocs, I'm sure the daily assaults will resume... He hates those shoes.

Caden532

Thanks everybody! I just have one more question, sorry: Is it okay if the area for my tortoise's enclosure has unfiltered sunlight from when it rises to about 3? Does he need more light in those remaining hours to sunset?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ideally you want BOTH sunshine AND shade available at all times.

However, sunshine earlier is preferred to later IMO.

Your sunshine-3:00 is fine. But make sure that you provide shade during those sunshine hours. Provide good shade, too not just a cheesy, on its side flower pot.

Good shade is heavy foliage, thick bushes, a bush in the shade of a tree... Think a shade source in more shade ;)