Leopard Tortoise in Morgantown WV

CarterEvan

Hello,

Unfortunately I must relocate my leopard tortoise to a new home. Since getting him in September of last year I have been constantly changing his diet and habitats in the hopes that he would grow. Unfortunately he still is very small and weighs in at 40g. The lack of specialized care I can give him mixed with my new apartment rules are the reasons I need to give him up.

I would like to be able to give him to someone near Morgantown West Virginia. I can drive and meet someone if need be!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's too bad, Carter. I wish there were something I could do to help you keep the tortoise. Here's hoping you find a really great tortoise-keeper in your area to take him.

I know that @Turtulas-Len is in that general area. Len would provide your tortoise with a great home.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
This is so tempting ! I really want a leopard hatchling ! I'm in Maryland. Is he eating okay though? I remember you had a thread about your leopard having trouble eating. Did this ever improve?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Sorry to hear this. Hope all goes well.

CarterEvan

This is so tempting ! I really want a leopard hatchling ! I'm in Maryland. Is he eating okay though? I remember you had a thread about your leopard having trouble eating. Did this ever improve?

Yeah! He actually eats very well (besides his distaste for Mazuri) and acts fine as well. It's just like he has an aversion to growing haha.

CarterEvan

That's too bad, Carter. I wish there were something I could do to help you keep the tortoise. Here's hoping you find a really great tortoise-keeper in your area to take him.

I know that @Turtulas-Len is in that general area. Len would provide your tortoise with a great home.

Thank you for your post. When my situation changes I would like to try and raise another tort. They are really cool pets.

Robthebob

Hi I'm very interested in your tort. I live in nj so we can meet halfway. Please respond if it is still avaible

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yeah! He actually eats very well (besides his distaste for Mazuri) and acts fine as well. It's just like he has an aversion to growing haha.

@40 grams, a year of age and fine besides lack of growing...these lead me to believe your leopard could suffer from chronic dehydration. When leopards are started too dry, it causes internal organ damage that is sometimes too bad to repair.

Some of these babies overcome the hurdles and grow VERY slowly. Usually you can breathe a sigh of relief once they reach 100 grams.

Some of these babies live a long time, act fine, never really grow or gain weight and eventually pass away. This confuses the owner on the cause of death. These babies were ticking time bombs that were going to pass because of how they were started regardless of the new owners care.

I'm sorry you have to rehome your little leopard. I highly advise it doesn't go to someone as "an only tort pet". The new owner would be crushed if it died in their care.
Try to select someone who can handle the loss should that be the outcome.

Hoping that your leopard is a lucky one who will eventually pass the 100gram hurdle!

rrice1

Hello,

Unfortunately I must relocate my leopard tortoise to a new home. Since getting him in September of last year I have been constantly changing his diet and habitats in the hopes that he would grow. Unfortunately he still is very small and weighs in at 40g. The lack of specialized care I can give him mixed with my new apartment rules are the reasons I need to give him up.

I would like to be able to give him to someone near Morgantown West Virginia. I can drive and meet someone if need be!
Would love to adopt. Can arrange for pickup tomorrow.

Holly'sMom

Do you still have your leopard available? A friend bought one at a local exotic pet store. Theyve been known for selling animals sick or that are illegal. Then They'd given her the complete opposite of what she needed w a very incorrect HAND WROTE care sheet (not to mention he was maybe 2inch so shouldn't have been sold in a pet store) anyways we corrected her set up the following day when she contacted me asking if he should be sleeping all day.. (I have a Sulcata and had planned on buying a leopard so I'd researched both before purchasing mine) long story short she's babied him after the hectic start. But her baby died last night and she's beside herself.. she did everything humanly possible including spending over 600$ redoing her entire set up (to the guidelines and care sheets we pulled from here). I'm not telling a sob story for a discount. I'm just urgently looking as her other children (7-13) don't know he's died and she's hoping to keep it that way.. I live in somerset so I can meet if she's too far, she's in Pittsburgh

Holly'sMom

That was kind of a generic post I copied and pasted to a few breeders but she's really been a great owner to her tort and I'm still shocked at the passing. He was still fairly small under 3 inches so that's why i had left a message being yours is a little guy also. I'm not too far from you and wouldn't mind picking up and having her meet me back here so we'd be doing all the driving. That's if you haven't found a sufficient home. And please feel free to message me I can rely any questions or put the 2 of you in touch so you can get a feel for the type of person she is or any concerns. We plan to clean the harder to replace parts and reset up Her enclosure just in case it was something passable but honestly I believe it may have not been thriving before hand as the owners didn't have him listed for sale until she asked...