Leopard Tortoise Hatchling Indoor Humid Enclosure

Rcovek

Location (City and/or State)
The Cold North
Looking to see what advice people have for my enclosure. I have a custom built 4x2 ft enclosure with built in plexiglass front, uvb strip and heat lamp. All plants are fake except the wheatgrass. I'm trying to keep the shell from pyramiding and I've read you do this by keeping heat and humidity up over 80. I feed grasses, weeds and some mustard and collard greens. Substrate is 4" deep with topsoil mixed with Eco Earth, topped with forest floor chips and sphagnum moss. Let me know what you all think please.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • image.png
    image.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 57

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks good.

I'd sink the water bowl deeper and fill it up.

I also wouldn't use moss or all that other mx of substrates. Orchid bark all by itself works best.

If you are going to use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole. Mustard and collard greens are okay once in a while but not as a staple.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the coir the best, but the bark is fine too. I never liked it for my little one, it can have sharp points that I had seen poke. I wouldn't use the moss either. I tried it and it molded easy. I would also remove one hide and maybe a couple plants. From the pics at least, it doesn't look like a lot of room for walking around. Otherwise looks great and so does your little one.