Leopard Tortoise Hatchling housing outside?

TylerFranz

Location (City and/or State)
Round Rock, Texas
I live in Central Texas and have a leopard tortoise hatchling (roughly 4 months old). If she is placed in a secure enclosure, one that is safe from predictors, is it okay for her to stay outside as long as the temperatures are right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Central Texas and have a leopard tortoise hatchling (roughly 4 months old). If she is placed in a secure enclosure, one that is safe from predictors, is it okay for her to stay outside as long as the temperatures are right?

Babies do better when housed mostly indoors. I've done several side-by-side experiments with clutchmates and the indoor ones universally do better. They grow more on less food and they grow smoother.

My general rule of thumb is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise, and I always soak them on the way back in.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Tom offers very sound advice regarding your question in general. He even has the documents to backup his claims. I, too, suggest and recommend his points of view here with only one exception; I do my soaking first before taking outside.
Typically tortoises will "crap" while they soak. I "feel" a tortoise with an empty gut is more apt to graze in a normal, more natural and casual manner which I believe we all can only hope to achieve, know what I mean?

Reactions: Tom