Leopard Tortoise growth rate

Titan davis

Hi there! A little over 5 months ago i purchased a (pardalis babcocki) leopard tortoise from underground reptiles. They said he would be about 3 inches but he was barely an inch when i recieved him. I put that aside thinking that he was just a small baby. But now im starting to get worried because he is almost half a year old and is only maybe 3 inches at most. Ive seen pictures and videos of other leops his sage and they are almost the same size as the owners hand! He lives inside for now but i gave him UVB and I take him outside everyday as well. His basking spot is about 95 degrees. He gets weeds and grass as well as collards, carrots, and the occasional cactus pad. I feed him every day and I give him calcium with D3. I also mist his enclosure when he wakes up and goes to sleep. Is there anything i am doing wrong or not doing at all? I just want to make sure i am doing all i can and that he is ok. Also if anybody could give any pointers on how to gain his trust that would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to give 80% humidity with all over temp no lower then 80 along with the 95-100 basking. Warm water soaks every day for 20-30 minutes. There is some slight pyramiding starting. The humidity with help with that. Then read Toms closed chamber thread and set yours up the same. @Tom might be able to help with size. Just remember though they all grow at their own pace and I'm pretty sure the place you bought him from starts them out dry, which isn't good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Honesty he doesnt eat very much.
Get some Mazuri tortoise food. Not the newer LS kind and soak it in a little water a couple nuggets, until soft. Feed the Mazuri 2-3 times a week. Also add more to the diet. Rose of Sharon, more safe weeds, ridicchio, endive, mustard greens. A bigger variety is needed. If he likes the Mazuri, like most do, you can also let the greens soak along with the Mazuri, puts some of the taste and smells of the Mazuri onto the greens, makes them want the greens more. Use just enough water so the Mazuri soaks up most of it and feed the liquid that's left along with the rest of the food. D3 only a pinch 2 times a week is enough. Too much can do damage too.

Titan davis

Get some Mazuri tortoise food. Not the newer LS kind and soak it in a little water a couple nuggets, until soft. Feed the Mazuri 2-3 times a week. Also add more to the diet. Rose of Sharon, more safe weeds, ridicchio, endive, mustard greens. A bigger variety is needed. If he likes the Mazuri, like most do, you can also let the greens soak along with the Mazuri, puts some of the taste and smells of the Mazuri onto the greens, makes them want the greens more. Use just enough water so the Mazuri soaks up most of it and feed the liquid that's left along with the rest of the food. D3 only a pinch 2 times a week is enough. Too much can do damage too.
I do all of those things but I havent given him mazuri in a while because he would never eat it or anything it was on. Thankyou and i will try the mazuri again.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
If he doesnt like Mazuri, try other tortoise pellet foods. Tortoise grassland diet usually comes in second.
My russian tortoise got big from eating the T-rex dry tortoise formula.
Also if you have time, search for @Pearly thread for picky eaters. She has redfoot tortoises but this may help you too.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What are the temperatures in other parts of the enclosure and how are you measuring them?

Do you provide a water dish? or are you soaking him regularly?

Would you be willing to provide us with pictures of his enclosure?

Although they all grow at different rates, I would be remiss if I didn't say that the size of yours is not normal. That doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem really, but let's get more information first.

Kasia

Poland
Hi there! A little over 5 months ago i purchased a (pardalis babcocki) leopard tortoise from underground reptiles. They said he would be about 3 inches but he was barely an inch when i recieved him. I put that aside thinking that he was just a small baby. But now im starting to get worried because he is almost half a year old and is only maybe 3 inches at most. Ive seen pictures and videos of other leops his sage and they are almost the same size as the owners hand! He lives inside for now but i gave him UVB and I take him outside everyday as well. His basking spot is about 95 degrees. He gets weeds and grass as well as collards, carrots, and the occasional cactus pad. I feed him every day and I give him calcium with D3. I also mist his enclosure when he wakes up and goes to sleep. Is there anything i am doing wrong or not doing at all? I just want to make sure i am doing all i can and that he is ok. Also if anybody could give any pointers on how to gain his trust that would be great! Thanks!
Did you checked his poop for parasites? Lack of appetite and no growth would actually fit that scenario. Is he active?

Turbotort

Florida
I had a leopard baby last year and went through the same thing. Almost made it to anyear old before passing. Where did you buy your hatchling? Trade shows are the worst and that was my mistake.