Leopard Tortoise - Front Legs Dragging

JBurer

My largest, but otherwise very healthy, Leopard tortoise has started walking funny. A tilt with his back half up higher than his front - walking using the sides of his arms rather than the pads.

https://goo.gl/photos/UjsrnRidwiKWXdC19

I did a couple searches and it appears the more common problem is hind leg weakness. Strength of the tortoise seems fine, appetite fine (always been a big eater - thus the size and the pyramiding compared to the others).

Here's another video of him walking along with the others for a comparison -
https://goo.gl/photos/ueChGTfNo7Z9bcVQ8

And another with commentary from my 3 year old son - https://goo.gl/photos/whBBkKujwfs4cSnZ6

Is this anything you've seen before?
Best,
John

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hmmm. Doesn't seem to be standing up like she should. Does she do this on all surfaces? Do you supplement calcium? It mostly looks like she (read she or he, it...) is uncertain of the surface to me. Curious to see what others think.

Kasia

Poland
I agree with Jodie but on the short video it looks like she is having trouble. But I would say that's just one leg (or muscle supporting it in the neck cavity), the other is bending to not let her fall on her face. Maybe she twisted it and it's painful on the hard, brick surface

JBurer

Jodie - I wondered about the surface yesterday, as well. The odd walk was easier to show on an unobstructed, flat surface... but it does seem like she's walking funny on the grass as well. Here's an example -

https://goo.gl/photos/sEfoB29YGgsnPCpL8

I do supplement calcium... though this tortoise seems to eat more Mazuri than the others. Her shell is very hard and otherwise acts strong/healthy.

Kasia - I'll watch her over the next couple days. I reached out to the breeder who I got these from, he was equally surprised at the behavior. Hopefully it's just a sprain!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would keep an eye on it. Inspect frequently to ensure no signs of infection or trauma appear. Keep us updated please.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I can't be of any help other then to validate your concerns. The walk is definitely not normal...I don't know if it's unusual enough to be overly concerned though. It looks like she's using her claws to walk on, instead of the pad of the foot.

How long have you had this group?

They look nice, and looks like they had a good start in life.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to know that your tort is sick @JBurer . :(

How about seeing a vet?

And wishes for a speedy recovery to him/her.

JBurer

Jodie / Gillian - I'll definitely keep a close eye on it the next couple days. If any deterioration, I have a vet I've taken them to before for concerns and will bring them back. For odd-ball things like this that aren't traumatic or acute (and might not even really be anything wrong), I'll normally inquire on people's experience before I go to the vet.

Neal - thanks! I've had them about 2 years and they get pretty textbook care. They live outside in an area of the country that's pretty similar to their natural habitat and, in the winter, retreat into an insulated/heated 3'x4' hidebox. Once they get a little bigger, I'll get rid of the protected area (covered by chicken wire) outside the heatbox and they'll have about a 16'x10' area to roam around in. I'm a little paranoid about bobcats or raccoons getting them while they're still juveniles.

Only real regret in husbandry has been my heavy use of Mazuri for food - probably makes up 50-60% of their calories. The torts love both varieties of Mazuri but seem to shun prickly pear and timothy hay. Wish I could migrate them over to more of a grass-based diet.... I even bought some native seed, but they don't seem to eat it. When I give them run of the yard they run straight for any dog poop I forgot to pick up, though, which makes me wonder about their natural diet!

Attachments

• torts (1).jpg
    torts (1).jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 18
  • torts (2).jpg
    torts (2).jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 17

JBurer

FYI - all is well and she's back to walking normally. Suspect it was just some minor injury from walking around uneven ground

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jodie / Gillian - I'll definitely keep a close eye on it the next couple days. If any deterioration, I have a vet I've taken them to before for concerns and will bring them back. For odd-ball things like this that aren't traumatic or acute (and might not even really be anything wrong), I'll normally inquire on people's experience before I go to the vet.

Neal - thanks! I've had them about 2 years and they get pretty textbook care. They live outside in an area of the country that's pretty similar to their natural habitat and, in the winter, retreat into an insulated/heated 3'x4' hidebox. Once they get a little bigger, I'll get rid of the protected area (covered by chicken wire) outside the heatbox and they'll have about a 16'x10' area to roam around in. I'm a little paranoid about bobcats or raccoons getting them while they're still juveniles.

Only real regret in husbandry has been my heavy use of Mazuri for food - probably makes up 50-60% of their calories. The torts love both varieties of Mazuri but seem to shun prickly pear and timothy hay. Wish I could migrate them over to more of a grass-based diet.... I even bought some native seed, but they don't seem to eat it. When I give them run of the yard they run straight for any dog poop I forgot to pick up, though, which makes me wonder about their natural diet!

You will need to add the grasses and weeds into the mazuri and feed them on top of weeds and grasses. As they start to eat more of the weeds and grasses, use less and less mazuri. My leopards weren't fond of weeds and grasses with. Now, during the summer months, I make them graze most days before I feed them any mazuri. Thrn if I do feed them mazuri it's on top of the grass/weeds that are in the ground and I don't pile up the mazuri so they have to get weeds and grass in almost every bit. You have to be tuff and not give in. They will eat soon enough.