Leopard tortoise eggs help needed

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
Hi, I currently have 6 leopard eggs in my incubator at day 90. Candled them today and 5 have small air pockets at the top and completely dark, but 1 of them (the one that had been developing much faster than the rest) is also completely dark but the air pocket is a third of the size of the egg but on the side of the egg coming across not on the top.
Has this one developed wrong? Do you think they should begin to hatch anytime soon? Thanks

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hi, I currently have 6 leopard eggs in my incubator at day 90. Candled them today and 5 have small air pockets at the top and completely dark, but 1 of them (the one that had been developing much faster than the rest) is also completely dark but the air pocket is a third of the size of the egg but on the side of the egg coming across not on the top.
Has this one developed wrong? Do you think they should begin to hatch anytime soon? Thanks
How long have they been incubating? If they are totally dark when candled that usually indicates hatching will occur soon. I wouldn't over think the air pocket. Air pocket sizes and locations can vary from what I've seen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would not worry about the air pockets and I'd leave them alone at this point.

75% humidity is too low, if your gauge is accurate. I would add some moisture to the incubation media. Very carefully and a very small amount. I'd also bump up humidity in the incubator with more tubs of water.

Leopards usually hatch at about 110 days. When you see your first pip, I would add more water to the media again to simulate a rain, which is what stimulates these guys to hatch in the wild. The added moisture will also help them get safely out of their egg.

Read this for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
Thanks, puts my mind at rest. Fingers crossed for some healthy babies. I could see them moving last week so hopefully not long. Humidity now upto 89%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, puts my mind at rest. Fingers crossed for some healthy babies. I could see them moving last week so hopefully not long. Humidity now upto 89%

I forgot to mention to NOT directly wet the eggs.

What you do right after hatching is very important. I hope that thread helps.

Good luck! Looking forward to the baby pics!!!

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
Humidity sitting around 85% now. I checked the egg I was worried about and no change but did see it move so I suppose we shall wait and see if any hatch. This is the egg I was on about with the empty space at the side.

Attachments

• 1451421856084.jpg
    1451421856084.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 59

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I think you will surely be seeing some beautiful babies soon. I can't wait to see them. As Tom stated dont wet the eggs directly, it may cause premature hatching. But high humidity will be an important step in the last stages of egg development. Fingers crossed for you

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
Well the egg has cracked but not pipped like my other eggs do. There is a hairline crack across the air bubble. Hoping to see a hatchling soon

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
There is now a hole but I think its going bad cos behind the hole is an empty space with a kind of wall at the back and the tortoise is behind that? I have never seen anything like it, I have separated it from my other eggs for now but I am at a loss as to what is happening :-/

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
I forgot to mention to NOT directly wet the eggs.

What you do right after hatching is very important. I hope that thread helps.

Good luck! Looking forward to the baby pics!!!

Any idea what is happening? The shell is falling away, I got curious and pulled a little bit back and there most definitely is another wall?? Is it now too humid and making it crack?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any idea what is happening? The shell is falling away, I got curious and pulled a little bit back and there most definitely is another wall?? Is it now too humid and making it crack?

The shells tend to become more brittle over the course of incubation. Don't worry about it. You've got another two and a half weeks to go.

Stop touching the eggs and leave them alone.

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
Apart from moving it to its own tub I've not really touched them now. I can peek through the top of the incubator so I can check without letting the heat out. It's the only one that's cracked all others seem normal, you can see the membrane bulging where the tort is moving so it's still alive, maybe just a weak shell? This one has always been odd and I didn't expect it to survive but we shall see I suppose.

I will be sitting on my hands. :)

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
She's pipped and is sitting in the egg. Will keep you posted. I know it could be days befor she fully emerges so will post pics when out ☺

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
The shells tend to become more brittle over the course of incubation. Don't worry about it. You've got another two and a half weeks to go.

Stop touching the eggs and leave them alone.

Ok, she has emerged more overnight but is covered in a gooey substance with veins Streaking across as if she is in a bag. I don't want to touch her to move her in case I damage her, it's upto 95% humidity in her tub so I'm hoping this will keep her hydrated. But I honestly think she will die. I have never had a hatchling half out of an egg covered in veins still ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, she has emerged more overnight but is covered in a gooey substance with veins Streaking across as if she is in a bag. I don't want to touch her to move her in case I damage her, it's upto 95% humidity in her tub so I'm hoping this will keep her hydrated. But I honestly think she will die. I have never had a hatchling half out of an egg covered in veins still ??

I see two possibilities:
1. Its too wet in there and this caused the egg to swell and hatch early.
2. This egg hatched early for some reason, and its too dry for it to get out normally.

Humidity is one parameter, but incubation media moisture is another. If its too dry then all that stuff in the egg will become like glue. If its too wet too soon the eggs can absorb too much water and pop open too early.

Any insight?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I see two possibilities:
1. Its too wet in there and this caused the egg to swell and hatch early.
2. This egg hatched early for some reason, and its too dry for it to get out normally.

Humidity is one parameter, but incubation media moisture is another. If its too dry then all that stuff in the egg will become like glue. If its too wet too soon the eggs can absorb too much water and pop open too early.

Any insight?
How formed is the baby? Does the baby itself look like a normal hatchling but covered in gue? A tortoise that hatches even days before it is supposed to has a very different look than a fully formed hatchling. If you post pictures of the hatchling we could help decipher which it is.