Leopard tortoise care

Mr. turtle

Hi! I need to know some care for a leopard tortoise. I am going to build a 3x2 foot tortoise table for a hatchling. Which i think is big enough for a while. But what kind of lighting should i use. For substrate i am going to use coconut coir block. And does anyone know any leopard tortoise breeders? I don't trust tortoise town enough. Thanks!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi! I need to know some care for a leopard tortoise. I am going to build a 3x2 foot tortoise table for a hatchling. Which i think is big enough for a while. But what kind of lighting should i use. For substrate i am going to use coconut coir block. And does anyone know any leopard tortoise breeders? I don't trust tortoise town enough. Thanks!
Where are you located? That does make a difference in knowing the basic climate you have to deal with in creating a proper environment. To get you started, please read this link I did for Leopards and Stars Their care is identical. I think you will find an open table is not at all advised for a young leopard.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Read this and come back with all your questions. we have several members here who are great leopard breeders and have some available.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Marks post. We have great caresheets for leopards. The sulcata caresheets will also apply to your leopard.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It is great that you are taking the time to learn about proper care before you get one. Too many people jump right in and don't understand the needs of a baby. Read up and ask questions until you know you are ready to provide a good home. I will tell you from experiences, baby torts will not live long or healthy if not given proper care.

When you make a decision, let me know. I have a few babies right now.

Mr. turtle

I live in south kentucky. It gets in the 90s in summer, and pretty cold in the winter. I also heard the 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank is good for babys.

Mr. turtle

Greg T i would love to buy one from you once i get my stuff ready and together. Thanks!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I live in south kentucky. It gets in the 90s in summer, and pretty cold in the winter. I also heard the 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank is good for babys.
Since you are in the research stage - please take our advice as a consideration. Open table, stock tanks, etc. are going to be an ongoing problem to maintain the temps and humidity you want for a young leopard to thrive. Just look back through our leopard section and see the literally 100 or so times a year we have someone asking what to do about a young leopard with closed eyes, won't eat, lethargic, etc etc...

Since you're taking the time to do your research now, consider setting up the best enclosure possible to ensure your tortoise will thrive.