Leopard hatcling is failing?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Any thoughts on what is going on with this baby, or what options might be? Has anyone seen anything like this?
Back story; this baby hatched in November 2016. He was started same as my others, humid. Has been kept hot and humid. Good diet, and daily soaks. Same as the other 30 or so I hatched this year.
He is not growing. 45 grams now. All the others surpass 50 grams within a couple of months.
He is not sickly. No discharge or RI symptoms ever. Eats good, normal bowel movements, and is active.
A couple of days ago, he was slow to open his eyes. His skin is puffy and white. It is mushy. Appears to be liquid retention.
0725171635.jpg

Kasia

Poland
Not on a baby but on my adult Russian. His kidneys/liver are failing. I soaked mine in herbal infusion increasing diuresis. It helped with the water retention. Vet added meds for liver support. It took him couple months but he pulled trough. Best of luck for you both.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hi @Jodie, sorry about this. Your baby does look sick. I have less experience with leopards than you do, so I don't have much help.

However, I will say this, I learned a lot in the treck so far: one of my leopards was about the same size as yours, kept humid, warm etc. And seemingly "healthy".

Out of nowhere one day he took a major turn south just like you say. I took him to the vet, two days later he passed.

Then I had a second vet perform a full necropsy and the results were exactly the same as the first vet had suspected: ultimate root cause was a retained yolk sac from hatch (birth).

The poor guy's lungs were a wreck and his heart had literally burst. He had bacteria consistent with retained yolk sacs.

Both vets told me he was doomed from day one.

I personally believe we humans have so much more to learn about these creatures. Wish you the best of luck with your little one there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, so sorry. Poor little thing looks miserable. Keep us posted on what you choose to do and how the little one does.
Things like this can happen to the very best of breeders in any species.
Some interesting examples of what could be going on.
Good luck.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Aside from a trip to the vet if you choose, keep your temperatures up in the enclosure, continue feeding as long as he keeps eating, give him soaks unless he is drinking fine, and get him direct sunlight as much as possible. I'm a real believer in the power of being outside in the sunshine, and have seen it help dramatically in cases of vitamin D or protein deficiency. Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do with babies. Even most vets struggle to pinpoint the problems. Continue your best and hopefully it clears up quickly.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Not on a baby but on my adult Russian. His kidneys/liver are failing. I soaked mine in herbal infusion increasing diuresis.
Can you tell me more about the herbal infusion, you used please?

Kasia

Poland
Composition of herb mix I used
Equiseti herba 0,8 g; Betulae folium 0,7 g; Cichorii radix 0,3 g; Vitis idaeae folium 0,2 g.

It should be available over counter as a mix for urinary tract infections. I made infusion out of 3-4 portions then diluted it with enough water to make a lurk warm soak. In the worst period I soaked Rufin twice a day about 20-30 minutes each. After first 2 or 3 times I noticed he was peeing more.
At first Vet tried additional hydration by giving him subq fluids but that just strained the kidneys more and increased the swelling.

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Composition of herb mix I used
Equiseti herba 0,8 g; Betulae folium 0,7 g; Cichorii radix 0,3 g; Vitis idaeae folium 0,2 g.

It should be available over counter as a mix for urinary tract infections. I made infusion out of 3-4 portions then diluted it with enough water to make a lurk warm soak. In the worst period I soaked Rufin twice a day about 20-30 minutes each. After first 2 or 3 times I noticed he was peeing more.
At first Vet tried additional hydration by giving him subq fluids but that just strained the kidneys more and increased the swelling.
THANK YOU!

Maitaimommy

Sorry this is happening to you and the little guy. I hope things turn around for you soon!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Try feeding a high proportion of dandelion leaves in the diet if gentle diuresis is the desired outcome. See if that helps at all.

It is sad to see this happening because it usually indicates a kidney or adrenal illness (and it could also be a matter of vasopressin or several other possibilities), but it is a good learning experience for any breeder. Some individual animals are simply of lesser robustness. Such is life. A breeder who claims or boasts of *zero* issues after hitting good numbers is often cherrypicking to tell a self-supporting tale. Breeders who share their hiccups and failures (this does not necessarily have to involve the breeder's care/action) readily are more useful for figuring out solutions to problems or coming to terms with problems which lack a solution.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank everyone for the thoughts and support. Will try the dandelions and get my hands on those herbs. Have a vet appointment on Friday. My vet has been researching all the suggestions here. Will run some blood tests and see if this baby can be saved. Hoping to learn something at least if not. Will try to remember to update this. This baby obviously had issues in the first couple of months. His high weight was 44 grams. Held here for about 3 months. Was 42 yesterday.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Thank everyone for the thoughts and support. Will try the dandelions and get my hands on those herbs. Have a vet appointment on Friday. My vet has been researching all the suggestions here. Will run some blood tests and see if this baby can be saved. Hoping to learn something at least if not. Will try to remember to update this. This baby obviously had issues in the first couple of months. His high weight was 44 grams. Held here for about 3 months. Was 42 yesterday.

Glad to hear that you are trying to give him a fighting chance.