Leopard Gecko, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
My new little guy/gal. :) no name yet, should i stick with traditional hunger games characters?

questions: can you sex leopard geckos right away? he's probably like 3 inches or so. Just wondering :)

is he/she any sort of morph? I don't know much about leopard gecko's besides their husbandry and size and the basics. I don't fallow the morphs really well and i don't even know what they classify as a "normal". So if anyone can help that'd be great.

Image 1.jpg
Image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
EchoTheLeoTort said:
My new little guy/gal. :) no name yet, should i stick with traditional hunger games characters?

questions: can you sex leopard geckos right away? he's probably like 3 inches or so. Just wondering :)

is he/she any sort of morph? I don't know much about leopard gecko's besides their husbandry and size and the basics. I don't fallow the morphs really well and i don't even know what they classify as a "normal". So if anyone can help that'd be great.

Looks normal to me, I'm certainly no expert but that looks like a regen tail, maybe some body with more experience can chime in on that.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
jtrux said:
EchoTheLeoTort said:

Looks normal to me, I'm certainly no expert but that looks like a regen tail, maybe some body with more experience can chime in on that.

why thank you good sir ;)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Take a high resolution photo of the vent and I may be able to sex it. I usually either temp sex or wait to observe the hemipenile bulges and pores in males.

It is either a normal/wild type. However, keep in mind if you ever plan to breed that it is likely to be het for something. The most likely something would be Tremper albino if it is a het. Other possible (high probability) hets include the other two amelanism "strains", blizzard, Murphy's patternless, and eclipse. So, in short, wild type aka normal (possible hets unknown).

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is a regenerated tail. There is no question on that.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, it looks like a normal and he/she has a regenerated tail. Three inches is a bit young/small to sex but it shouldn't be too long now. If it's male, it will be quite obvious by about 5 inches in length. Which doesn't take too long.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Thanks everyone :) i dont mind a regenerated tail, it happens. He/she is purely a pet and not for breeding or anything else im glad the regen tail looks okay though, it has a few spots to blend it with the rest of his body. He ate within an hour of coming home so i'm gonna say he's healthy and active. Here's a couple new pics. Might name him Thresh (another hunger games character to match Cato) ImageUploadedByTortForum1378424860.399823.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378424935.100476.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He's very cute. The normal is my favorite, but they seem close to impossible to find anymore. I used to breed them back in the 90's. I missed them, but didn't want to breed again. So last year I got just one to keep as a pet. He has grown to be a ridiculously huge male tremper albino. He is 11 inches long and 121 grams in weight.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
This is my first gecko, and first leopard gecko lol. My first lizard was an argentine tegu and he's only 2 months old. So lizards are really new to me and i kinda made a decision today to get another lizard so i went with a leopard gecko. I was going to get one online but with them being so common in pet stores i didn't want to have to pay expensive shipping for a cheap animal. I really like the mack snows or super snows, but those are really the only morphs i know. They had "fancy leopards" for $30 but they were all albino's and i don't really like albino animals, so I went with a cheap normal that was on sale for $20, that had the spots i liked. And the bonus is that the cashier rang him up wrong, and it said like 12.99 so with tax i only paid 13.76. I ran for the door before she realized she made a mistake. whoops ;)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You made a good choice. Leopard geckos are great lizards. They aren't the most active, but they are very sweet and calm. And easy to care for too. I'll have to show you a pic of my huge boy sometime. If you are ever considering another lizard, blue tongued skinks are great. Leo's and blue tongues are the two I always suggest to people.

I'm not big on albinos either, but Bert kept "following" me the first time I saw him. Very alert and curious. So he came home with me. I couldn't resist.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
lisa127 said:
You made a good choice. Leopard geckos are great lizards. They aren't the most active, but they are very sweet and calm. And easy to care for too. I'll have to show you a pic of my huge boy sometime. If you are ever considering another lizard, blue tongued skinks are great. Leo's and blue tongues are the two I always suggest to people.

I'm not big on albinos either, but Bert kept "following" me the first time I saw him. Very alert and curious. So he came home with me. I couldn't resist.

Agreed.

----------------------

EchoTheLeoTort, here are some shots of some of my last ones before I decided to get out of leos entirely.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-37815.html

I was up to ~20-something breeders at one point (which made for a LOT of babies).

They make excellent docile and low maintenance pets.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Baoh said:
lisa127 said:

Agreed.

----------------------

EchoTheLeoTort, here are some shots of some of my last ones before I decided to get out of leos entirely.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-37815.html

I was up to ~20-something breeders at one point (which made for a LOT of babies).

They make excellent docile and low maintenance pets.

those are really cool :) I've noticed. I really love my argentine tegu Cato, he acts like a dog. But i took the gecko out for a little bit tonight while watching the game and he was jumpy and flighty but he was on my hand so i cupped the other hand over and he decided it was safe enough to take a nap. So tomorrow and this weekend he's just going to get some alone time to settle in and i'll check on him and bring food but otherwise he'll be left alone. then next week we can work on handling more. I'm nervous about him dropping his tail again so i'm trying not to touch it at all. he's really chill though for a lizard so thats good. he will fit in great :) thanks for your help too!

Status
Not open for further replies.