Leopard Eggs

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Greenbush, NY
I have successfully hatched Russian Tortoises for the past 4 years.
About a month ago I got my first clutch of Leopard eggs. I understand that the incubation is 4 1/2 months opposed to the Russian's 2-3 months. Along with higher humidity. Is the time frame the same as far as the progression of the eggs?
1-2 weeks chalking, 2-4 weeks veins? Or is it slower cause they take longer?
Unfortunately these eggs haven't showed any sign of life but curious for future clutches.
Thanks,
Debbie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've never paid much attention to the whole chalking and vein things. If I happen to see it, great. If not, it doesn't concern me.

Leopard eggs take about 110 days at 87-88.

First time moms will usually not have a lot of fertility in their first year.

One of the difficulties with leopard eggs is that most leopards in circulation today are a genetic mix from a variety of locations. There is really no way to tell unless you know the origins of the parents of yours. Some leopards from some localities require a diapause before the eggs will develop.

If you find that you are getting low hatch rates in the second and third years, you can try cooling the eggs before incubation. Here in CA I can just leave them in the ground for a while, but I'm not sure how that would work for you there in NY. I use a couple of wine fridges to cool my SA leopard eggs before incubation.