Leo the Russian tortoise

mijojr

Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Hi everyone! My name is Jerad and live in South Dakota. I ordered my Russian tortoise from Reptiles By Mack a couple months ago. I thought it said captive bred Russians, but I guess I should of got the hint since they were selling teenagers/grown up ones. Oh well, I love him anyways! I am pretty sure he is a male since his tail is long, but I'll let you guys decide. He is 4.5 to 5 inches long. For some reason he will only eat live plants. He eats weeds that grow outside, and a couple tortoise safe plants that are in his enclosure. I tried to feed him other stuff, but he is very picky! He is slowing down a bit since winter is approaching. Some days he will stay buried all day, others times he will get up and have a snack. I think this is normal tortoise behavior but I'll leave it to the experts. I also have a leopard gecko and a Chinese water dragon. Right now he is in a 6-7 foot by 2-3 foot enclosure, but I hope to build a new one soon. His substrate is potting soil/sphagnum moss/coconut fiber. His temps are around 88 in the basking spot and 70-74 on the cool spot. I might have to add another light to bring the heat up. That reminds me, how do you position a light without a clamp? I don't really like clamps as I heard that they are prone to falling! Any advise is appreciated! Enjoy the pics! (please tell me if they don't show up) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414340276.002774.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414340276.002774.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414340298.645603.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414340310.535275.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414340324.542333.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414340349.866798.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414340365.483517.jpg

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome tin the forum! the enclosure looks amazing! it is winter and he might slow slow down for hibernation, i would not hibernate him this year. just keep the enclosure temp high to trick him into thinking its still summer:). yes he is a male. also in the second to last pic i see another tort. does another tort share an enclosure with him?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jerad welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russian torts rule !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He Jerad, and welcome to the Forum!

You would do good to staple the ends of the liner and smooth it out. Your little tortoise will grab onto those loose ends and have it all messed up in no time.

Also, wild caught tortoises sometimes have a hard time determining that grocery store food is actual food. Try gathering it up in a clip of some sort and clip it up off the ground. See if he'll eat it that way.

mijojr

South Dakota
Thanks for the info! I tried to staple it down with my little electric one, but it ran out of staples. I'll probably pick some up today or tomorrow.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Welcome! Russians are great! We can tell you if your tort is for sure a boy or girl by posting a better picture of his tail..but in the posted photo, sure looks like a boy to me!