Leaving Your Tortoise With a Family Member?

p-lizzle

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I minor in Japanese and unexpectedly was picked for my school's 2018 study abroad programme in Tokyo. I'm obviously super excited about this because I've wanted to go to Japan since I was 8, and I'll be living in Japan for 3 and a half months.

I wasn't expecting to get selected for this programme until 2019, but as I was given a scholarship, I have to go now or never. I feel it's impossible to take my RT all the way from Chicago to Japan, especially since I already know the dorm is wayyyy to small for an adequate enclosure (not to mention the logistics of even getting all his equipment to Japan). Aioki wouldn't be getting much outside time either as the dorm is basically in central Tokyo.

I feel like the most logistical option is leaving him with my sister. Her (7yo) son has a bearded dragon and takes really good care of him, and whenever he stays with me, is always intrigued with Aioki and helping me with his daily routine. He says he wants to be a reptile keeper when he's older, so I feel like it's a good idea to leave him with my nephew.

But also, he's 7.

I would leave him with my parents as my mom affectionately calls him her grand tortoise, but she and my dad both work way crazier schedules than I do and I feel like they may forget to give him food at the set time and his soaks and calcium and etc. This is all stuff my nephew knows about since he has a reptile, but also he's 7.

I'm just super excited about getting to live in Japan, but also super stressed about all the logistics right now. Aioki is the biggest concern here because unlike all the other logistical issues, he's a living being. I just feel bad now because I wasn't expecting this for another year at which I would've had a more concrete plan.

Do you guys have any advice on what I could do?

ethan508

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
If you could give him a phone call (or IM) every 2-3 days and ask him how the tortoise is doing, it will help him be responsible. Ask him good questions (did you feed him every day, when did you last clean the cage, is the equipment working) so he knows he will be accountable short term. If he didn't do the proper care, tell him you'll stay on the line while he gets it done and then have him report back. Also offering a reward/bonus for good care (when you get home) might motivate him extra. Also things like a duty chart or a daily reminder alarm might help (set these up with your Sisters help).

My 9 year old twins are 'in charge' of the regular tortoise care (clean up old food, place fresh food, and water). One does it in the morning and one at night. The tortoises would really be okay with once a day, but I figure I've built in some fail safe in case a day gets missed (plus the weeds I feed are free, and a frequent task is sometimes easier to remember). They do pretty well, but do need reminders and encouragement.