Leaving tort unattended 3 nights

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
So I have redfooted torts and I have to leave them for 3 nights. Their usual sitter can't check on them, and I'm wondering the best way to do this...
Their heat and humidifier are on timers, I'm leaving cactus pads in there which will last the whole time.

My concern is the hydration situation. Their water dishes (plant saucers) evaporate and must be refilled daily, and of course sometimes they poop in them. Can I lower the temp for 4 days and hopefully the water doesn't evaporate? Or will cooler temps stress them out too much? I'm at a loss. I tried moving things around and adding water dishes, but they still evaporate or the water gets splashed out.... plese let me know if you have a thought!!! Thanks y'all!

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I've answered this question before, but I don't remember what thread it was. What I do is take an empty 2 liter bottle and clean it out. I take a needle and poke a hole in the top and one in the bottom. I lean the bottle in the corner of the enclosure where it'll drip slowly into his water saucer. Other than that I'd suggest getting the substrate pretty wet before you leave.

Also lowering the temperatures slightly wouldn't hurt as long as it's not too cool. Maybe keep the basking bulb off until you're back, it'll be like a simulated cloudy day.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Honestly, your tortoises will be fine without 3 days of water. Just give them a good soak when you get back.

There are people who never offer their tortoises water. Not saying that's right. But they survive. On the other hand wild tortoises don't have access to water 24/7.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm with Gus on this one. I tell people to remove the water bowls from the enclsoure and soak the tortoise the morning you leave, or the night before if you are leaving early. Then soak again upon your return. They can go 3-4 days with no water. Its not like a mammal that needs water daily.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
do all the people giving advice here own redfoots? no offense, i have never seen a box turtle drink, or a sulcata or a russian tortoise, i own all these for many years, and yet the redfoots drink like thirsty horses EVERYDAY at soaks, it kind of freaked me out the first time i saw them drink, i had torts for years and never saw them guzzle like that ever:) just saying, redfoots love water. Can they do three days without it - absolutely, will they be fine - no doubt, the water is just a perk of being a captive, comfort, awesomeness if you will :) but they really be just fine for three days with cactus pads. you never said what age they are, my young ones will not touch it, adults will only eat it in the absence of other options.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
also, you are in Texas, i lived there, it is totally perfect outdoor weather for redfoots, i assume you have young ones, but even young ones will be fine in a protected environment:) just wondering:)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
do all the people giving advice here own redfoots? no offense, i have never seen a box turtle drink, or a sulcata or a russian tortoise, i own all these for many years, and yet the redfoots drink like thirsty horses EVERYDAY at soaks, it kind of freaked me out the first time i saw them drink, i had torts for years and never saw them guzzle like that ever:) just saying, redfoots love water. Can they do three days without it - absolutely, will they be fine - no doubt, the water is just a perk of being a captive, comfort, awesomeness if you will :) but they really be just fine for three days with cactus pads. you never said what age they are, my young ones will not touch it, adults will only eat it in the absence of other options.
I see my sulcata drink every few days, and when he does, he buries his whole head inside a large water dish and drains it dry. I have left him unattended outdoors for several days when I go away, and he is fine, even when the water bowl runs dry.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Ok, in glad to know I'm just being an overprotective worrywort! They LOVE their cactus pads, and those are nice and juicy, so that is good. I don't think I could use a water reservoir, like the refillable ones they make for dogs, because they would knock it over. And probably try to eat it. They are destructive little things!!! Will definitely soak them before and after the trip. Thanks for the advise y'all!

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
also, you are in Texas, i lived there, it is totally perfect outdoor weather for redfoots, i assume you have young ones, but even young ones will be fine in a protected environment:) just wondering:)

I'm in South Texas on the coast and it is PERFECT outdoor weather for redfoots!!! I have tried for months to set up an outdoor enclosure, multiple ways. Something has gone wrong every time. It's a whole long story, but eventually I decided to just build them a large, indoor enclosure and they get outdoor time for baths and supervised grazing. They are 2-3 years old.

Tilliewhiz

West Midlands
I like the idea posted above. They also have the self waters for dogs and cats you could use too.
I use a refill
So I have redfooted torts and I have to leave them for 3 nights. Their usual sitter can't check on them, and I'm wondering the best way to do this...
Their heat and humidifier are on timers, I'm leaving cactus pads in there which will last the whole time.

My concern is the hydration situation. Their water dishes (plant saucers) evaporate and must be refilled daily, and of course sometimes they poop in them. Can I lower the temp for 4 days and hopefully the water doesn't evaporate? Or will cooler temps stress them out too much? I'm at a loss. I tried moving things around and adding water dishes, but they still evaporate or the water gets splashed out.... plese let me know if you have a thought!!! Thanks y'all!
I use a water dispenser for my tortoise which is meant for cats and dogs. It's a 1.8 litre version and it lasts ages. It also doesn't get soiled either seeing as my redfoot bends over it and just uses it for drinking. I have put a smaller version in with my snake. Made a massive difference and peace of mind when leaving them for a few days.

Tilliewhiz

West Midlands
I use a refill

I use a water dispenser for my tortoise which is meant for cats and dogs. It's a 1.8 litre version and it lasts ages. It also doesn't get soiled either seeing as my redfoot bends over it and just uses it for drinking. I have put a smaller version in with my snake. Made a massive difference and peace of mind when leaving them for a few days.

Screenshot_20170927-183736.png