Lazy tort.

Shay Waddell

Is there anything I can do to make my little Memito more active? After he eats, he sits in his water for a few minutes and then just waddles back into his log and goes to sleep.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Is there anything I can do to make my little Memito more active? After he eats, he sits in his water for a few minutes and then just waddles back into his log and goes to sleep.
hey shay, make sure you double check you temps, and if his diet and temps are fine, then he is perfectly normal. torts will become very inactive is there stuck in low temps though , but if the temps are fine, then he is most likely just soaking up the heat/ rays , and digesting his food

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
oh! and also make sure his enclosure is not flooded with light, make sure he has some shade

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
in a new enviroment with unexplored places I've never seen a redfoot be labeled "lazy" if you can supervise your tort exploring for 15 minutes a day you'll get him moving. I try to spend 1/2 an hour every two or three days with my torts out in the back yard and they only stop moving if they find something to graze on, find a stick to "scratch" on or if they find a shady spot they deem "worthy".. of course my yard and the surrounding yards are pesticide and herbicide free AND my torts are big enough that I can observe them from a lawn chair... you little one is a bit too small for that and standing over them/following them in the yard can be exhausting

Huntington Beach, California
I make my daughter take him into the front yard twice a day during the day time for some exercise he runs like the dickens outside. when school starts back up I will do it once a day for her ;) He runs around when outside the enclosure, but when inside, i place him in his water (underneath the basking lamp) he sits there for a few minutes, eats, and burrows until I wake his lazy butt up again. He is 14-16 weeks old according to my breeder.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The best way to make a tortoise more active is to set him up outside in a safe, well planted and escape-proof habitat where he can get real sunshine.