Lava Rocks?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
So we are getting a hatchling tortoise soon and we have everything setup for it's enclosure. Now we are just waiting for the lil babe to be old enough to leave the breeder. But I keep looking at the pen thinking that I would like to give it more enhancement. So I added some plants that I had in my garden and while I was digging a clump of sedge up I noticed the pile of lava rocks that we had left over from a landscape project. It came to mind that I could put a layer of them around the water saucer to maybe cut back on the amount of bedding that gets knocked into the water(it's gonna happen some no matter what).. but wait.. I haven't heard of anyone else on the forum using them in their tort pens. So is it safe? They came from a landscape supply yard but have been sitting in my yard for almost 6 months so there isn't likely to be any kind poison left on them but they are the red ones and I have no idea if they use some kind of dye on them.They are also about an average of 1inch in diameter. Anyone know? Are they safe for torts? Is this too small for a tort?
Yay for questions! You never know until you ask.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Lava is ruff and sharp isn't it ? It may scratch itself feet or evan the shell up ? I don't think I would use it . But it's your tort . Have a good day !

Bambam1989

East Texas
Lava is ruff and sharp isn't it ? It may scratch itself feet or evan the shell up ? I don't think I would use it . But it's your tort . Have a good day !
Thank you for your opinion. Although these don't feel sharp to my hand the tiny pores may have a sandpaper effect on their feet and bellies which I hadn't thought of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if they are dyed or not. I wouldn't use them either for the same reason Grandpa Turtle stated.

Rt1jen

So we are getting a hatchling tortoise soon and we have everything setup for it's enclosure. Now we are just waiting for the lil babe to be old enough to leave the breeder. But I keep looking at the pen thinking that I would like to give it more enhancement. So I added some plants that I had in my garden and while I was digging a clump of sedge up I noticed the pile of lava rocks that we had left over from a landscape project. It came to mind that I could put a layer of them around the water saucer to maybe cut back on the amount of bedding that gets knocked into the water(it's gonna happen some no matter what).. but wait.. I haven't heard of anyone else on the forum using them in their tort pens. So is it safe? They came from a landscape supply yard but have been sitting in my yard for almost 6 months so there isn't likely to be any kind poison left on them but they are the red ones and I have no idea if they use some kind of dye on them.They are also about an average of 1inch in diameter. Anyone know? Are they safe for torts? Is this too small for a tort?
It's probably best not to use them. Sounds like you have a nice set up!

Bambam1989

East Texas
My neighbor has some small river rock in his garden and said I could steal a few. Looked at me like I was crazy though when I told him it was for a tortoise enclosure... Apparently he thinks I'm strange now.. the rocks are smooth so it should not hurt the lil babe.

Rt1jen

My neighbor has some small river rock in his garden and said I could steal a few. Looked at me like I was crazy though when I told him it was for a tortoise enclosure... Apparently he thinks I'm strange now.. the rocks are smooth so it should not hurt the lil babe.
Lol. Funny, those non tort lovers don't get it!
I'm in the process of getting my boy set up. Seems ridiculous to pay for rocks when you can find them out and about.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Lol. Funny, those non tort lovers don't get it!
I'm in the process of getting my boy set up. Seems ridiculous to pay for rocks when you can find them out and about.
Non tort lovers ? Some tort lovers don't understand : I'll spend $125.00 a week feeding my torts ; but I will not buy cuddle bone for them or buy store bought calcium for them ! I have 18 leopards , 3 marginals , 7 Russians , 6 herrmanns , 3 AZ desert torts ,6greeks , 2 pancakes ,3 Egyptians 5 box turtles ! But will not sell the baby's ( they are my children ) !

Rt1jen

Non tort lovers ? Some tort lovers don't understand : I'll spend $125.00 a week feeding my torts ; but I will not buy cuddle bone for them or buy store bought calcium for them ! I have 18 leopards , 3 marginals , 7 Russians , 6 herrmanns , 3 AZ desert torts ,6greeks , 2 pancakes ,3 Egyptians 5 box turtles ! But will not sell the baby's ( they are my children ) !
Lol. Well, I only have one 4 y/o russian. That's about all I have room for. You certainly have quite a few! Do you have a favorite?
And I think It's wise not to spend more money than you have to. You probably grow all of your own food too.

Rt1jen

Oh sorry, I just reread your post. I'm guessing you grow some of your own food and purchase the remainder?
I'd probably classify you as an expert tort keeper too lol

Bambam1989

East Texas
My expected hatchling will be a sulcata. We have a little over 3 acres of land and plenty of grass and weeds. Who needs a cow or a goat? Give me a dinosaur! (I like cows and goats, just making a joke)

Rt1jen

My expected hatchling will be a sulcata. We have a little over 3 acres of land and plenty of grass and weeds. Who needs a cow or a goat? Give me a dinosaur! (I like cows and goats, just making a joke)
You have a good sense of humor:D

Bambam1989

East Texas
I agree. For the last 6 months I have been researching torts. When I found this forum I felt like i had found Paradise and that was just recently. Everyone here is so helpful and wonderfully opinionated. Everytime I come up with a question I just have to ask.

Rt1jen

I agree. For the last 6 months I have been researching torts. When I found this forum I felt like i had found Paradise and that was just recently. Everyone here is so helpful and wonderfully opinionated. Everytime I come up with a question I just have to ask.
It has certainly helped me out. I need this site to help me care for my tort properly. If you try to look stuff up on your own you get conflicting and confusing info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I'd have no problem with the lava rocks, as long as you can arrange them in a way that they aren't a tipping hazard. Sunk into the substrate maybe?

Wild galapagos tortoises march over lava rock that literally shreds shoes. I don't know how they move all that weight over such large, jagged, rough rocks, but they do it all day every day.

A flat layer of lava rock around your water dish, shouldn't do any harm. Tortoise nails are very hard. Much harder than a dogs, for example. Try it and keep us posted on what you learn.