Large growth ring. Is this normal?

Hi, so this is my 3 1/2 year old Russian tortoise and lately I noticed that her growth ring is very large. Is this normal?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466706697.723497.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466706768.053107.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Seems to be pretty normal with Russian tortoises just picked up at a pet store and started being fed more food than it was getting before. It's really not a problem.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
It looks like your baby has a good appetite.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Is she growing unsymmetrical or is it just the picture?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I thought my tortoise was getting asymmetrical growth, but it turned out it was his/her shell growth being lighter in spots. But, the baby's growing, which is a good thing. Can't tell if it's asymmetrical or not.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
What does a unsymmetrical shell look like? I think it's just the picture.
In the picture it looks like the white growth ring is only on one side of the scute, so I wondered if the scutes are growing unsymmetrical. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466706768.053107.jpg

Last edited:

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I dont think theres too much you can do about it. It seems like it happens often with Russians. My russian has thick growth lines around that band as well. And some sides of the scutes have growth lines while the other side is still stuck with another. I massage coconut oil into her shell once a month, or less. Just to see if it helps separate them. Im not sure if it helps or not but i dont know if any negative effects so i keep up with it.

I dont think theres too much you can do about it. It seems like it happens often with Russians. My russian has thick growth lines around that band as well. And some sides of the scutes have growth lines while the other side is still stuck with another. I massage coconut oil into her shell once a month, or less. Just to see if it helps separate them. Im not sure if it helps or not but i dont know if any negative effects so i keep up with it.
Ok thank you!!

Ziamia

One of my tortoises just woke and he has got a large growth ring round him. He's eating and running around quite happy. I wait patiently for the other one to awake and see how he had grown

florida1

Palm Harbor
My 4 yr old Russian also has a wide yellow band. The vet told me she is fat so I guess I feed her too often.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry about growth rings larger on one side than the other. The tortoise's growth is in keeping with his overall silhouette. If you black out the tortoise and look at his "shadow" it's a perfect shape, and not distorted at all.