Kiram's Skin Issues

Kiram

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hope someone could shed some light on this please. When I got Kiram in June, her skin was pretty much dark green but lately has noticed alot of light patches, the photos probably explain better. Have started calcium twice a week and using a lotion "Tamodine - Veterinary wound & skin cleaner" for a week but see no improvement. Otherwise she is perfectly normal with her diet, etc. Thank you.

IMG_4584.JPG IMG_4597.JPG IMG_4598.JPG IMG_4600.JPG

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Kiram and welcome to the forum.

Your tort is so cute. GOD bless.

Sorry, cannot help as far as your tort's issue is concerned. Am no tort expert. Will tag the experts here, who'll help if they can.

@Tom
@JoesMum
@Yvonne G
@Tidgy's Dad
@wellington

your help would be appreciated here. Thank you all.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't see anything to worry about.

All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it in tiny bits that become house dust. Tortoises do it in patches and look downright tatty at times.

It is completely normal. It requires no treatment or potions. The dead skin will rub off as your tort goes about its business.

Kiram looks like a lovely healthy tort. Well done :)

Kiram

Hong Kong

Kiram

Hong Kong
I don't see anything to worry about.

All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it in tiny bits that become house dust. Tortoises do it in patches and look downright tatty at times.

It is completely normal. It requires no treatment or potions. The dead skin will rub off as your tort goes about its business.

Kiram looks like a lovely healthy tort. Well done :)
Thanks JoesMum, a relief to know. Was quite stressed. Thanks again.

Kiram

Hong Kong
Hi @Kiram and welcome to the forum.

Your tort is so cute. GOD bless.

Sorry, cannot help as far as your tort's issue is concerned. Am no tort expert. Will tag the experts here, who'll help if they can.

@Tom
@JoesMum
@Yvonne G
@Tidgy's Dad
@wellington

your help would be appreciated here. Thank you all.

Hi again. Still feel Kiram is getting more lighter on her skin. Weight, diet, etc all going well. Adding a few photos which I took a few days back. Any advise or help will be appreciated. Getting nervous about it. Thanks alot.

Also have started mixing Timothy Hay, 3rd cut, any comments if 3rd cut is suitable or 2rd cut if suppose to be better? Thanks again. IMG_7761.jpgIMG_7763.jpgIMG_7764.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Looks beautiful to me.
Does he get real sunshine?
And what sort of lighting are you using, particularly for UVB?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As a leopard tortoises ages, the skin and shell start to take on a pattern. That's why they're called "leopard" tortoises, because they develop a pattern similar-looking to a leopard. It stands to reason that if the shell is going to have a pattern, the skin will also. Stop worrying. Your tortoise is beautiful . . . and just fine!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I think it might be helpful for you to take a look at some pictures of adult and baby leaopard torts? Your tort does not look abnormal to me, though I am not an expert.

My thoughts:

Animals- Reptiles, torts included often have skin colour and pattern changes over time and with growth. So change is normal and to be expected.

This skin pattern, pale with freckling, looks consistent with many images of leopard torts I have seen.

If you are keeping your tort very clean, with frequent soaking and you also mentioned using a special cleanser... There is no build up of dirt on the skin. The build up of dirt on a torts skin can stain it, or make it appear darker. It is possible when you recieved your tort he was stained by the substrate he was kept on, and it slowly wore off which is what caused your initial worry. Hatchling leopards I have seen do not typically have dark green skin as you described.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your leopard is as normal looking as any other normal healthy leopard tort. There is nothing wrong with its skin or shell. As he gets bigger and older, he will change a lot. How he looks now will not be how he looks in a month, three months or longer. Relax and keep doing what your doing, except what the vet gave you is not needed.

sillyglue

pasadena, ca
This tortoise is simply GORGEOUS. so shiny and golden. I never thought about getting a leapord but this one is truly breath taking. Why do most pics on the web of them not look like this? AMAZING!!