Kinixys belliana (photos)

NhamNham

Hi everyone!!

Some people asked me about photos of my Kinixys belliana... so, here it is!

He's a male, about 10-11 years old.
What do you think about his beak? I think it has grown a bit in the last 2 years...
084c9524ed.jpg

084cacca0b.jpg

084ca7d9a2.jpg

084cb1463a.jpg
084cba0c27.jpg

Enjoy!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Very cute! :) The beak does a little long to me, but I'm no Kinixys belliana expert! That's a very interesting shell. Is that normal for the shell to have that line above the back leg?

NhamNham

Yeah... the beak also looks a bit too long for me. It wasn't like that... it has been growing in the last years. But, although it looks a bit long, I don't think it is long enough to went to the vet to cut it... Don't know if you guys have any idea for make him to go shorter... maybe through his diet or so...
The line above the back legs its typical in the hingedbacks... the shell gets that line in the site where it hinges...

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hingeback! That's what I was thinking. :rolleyes: So he can close up the back end of his shell from predators?

NhamNham

The shape of it's shell helps them to better protect their hindlimbs and tail... yes! But they can't "close" their shell like some other tortoises do. There isn't any kind of articulation in that region... just that "modified" shape =)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The shape of it's shell helps them to better protect their hindlimbs and tail... yes! But they can't "close" their shell like some other tortoises do. There isn't any kind of articulation in that region... just that "modified" shape =)
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Beautiful, beautiful tortoise.
You can use a dremmel, or even toe-nail clippers or a nail file to trim the beak.
i did my Tidgy's last night.
Just do a little at a time.