Kiddie pools

Tortoisek

Hi guys, due to lack of space I decides to sell one of my torts and keep only one for now. I should have started with one as a beginner but i guess its ok:) my torts are about 5 inches and I feel like one kiddie pool with 3 feet diameter is small for them, Even though this is a temporary winter setup. I am keeping the male only and I was wondering if there would be any way of combining these kiddie pools together?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 67

enzot91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
What about cutting a space in the sides of each of them and finding a way to connect them with a 'bridge'?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can make a tunnel out of a large piece of pipe between the two pools.

I can't see for sure in your pic, but it looks like you are using those plastic based light fixtures. I speak from experience when I tell you those won't hold up and they are a fire hazard. You can get ceramic based fixtures at Home Depot for about $12 each. Its worth it. Let me tell you...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was what I thought too. Get a big piece of PVC, cut a hole in each pool and put the PVC like a tunnel between them. You can either use silicone sealer on the pipe or just leave it.

Another way would be to build an actual bridge over the sides, but that would be more work as it would need a railing to keep him on the bridge.

Tortoisek

You can make a tunnel out of a large piece of pipe between the two pools.

I can't see for sure in your pic, but it looks like you are using those plastic based light fixtures. I speak from experience when I tell you those won't hold up and they are a fire hazard. You can get ceramic based fixtures at Home Depot for about $12 each. Its worth it. Let me tell you...
The inside is ceramic so i thought this is what youre talking about.

Tortoisek

That was what I thought too. Get a big piece of PVC, cut a hole in each pool and put the PVC like a tunnel between them. You can either use silicone sealer on the pipe or just leave it.

Another way would be to build an actual bridge over the sides, but that would be more work as it would need a railing to keep him on the bridge.
Tunnel sounds creative:) you think he will use it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The inside is ceramic so i thought this is what youre talking about.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it on my little screen here…

The base of your fixture, the part that the bulb screws into, should be ceramic and not the black plastic Bakelite stuff. If you already have ceramic then ignore my comments. If its the plastic type, I'd recommend switching it out ASAP.

Tortoisek

Maybe I'm just not seeing it on my little screen here…

The base of your fixture, the part that the bulb screws into, should be ceramic and not the black plastic Bakelite stuff. If you already have ceramic then ignore my comments. If its the plastic type, I'd recommend switching it out ASAP.
Whatever you see in the picture(black part) is plastic, but the inside of it that the bulb screws into is ceramic. I couldnt find an all ceramic lamp clamp but im going to home depot today so ill look for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whatever you see in the picture(black part) is plastic, but the inside of it that the bulb screws into is ceramic. I couldnt find an all ceramic lamp clamp but im going to home depot today so ill look for it.

Interesting. I've never seen one made that way with plastic on the outside and ceramic inside…

Here is the one from HD:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-300-Watt-Incandescent-Brooder-Clamp-Light-HD-303PDQ/204684496

I hang them from over head and I remove those little guard wire thingys.