Keeping large tortoise with small

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
Can someone help me find a good thread on size differences and the dangers?

Same species but bigImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456235077.417471.jpg size difference. :/

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Can someone help me find a good thread on size differences and the dangers?

Same species but bigView attachment 165858 size difference. :/
Can't help with the threads, but I put 2 of my juveniles with the adults the other day just to see what happened. One peed and pooped then ran as fast as s/he could for cover. Actually tried to push one of the adults out of the corner. I think s/he was very scared.
This juvenile is about 4.5" SLC.

My other juvenile is about 5" SCL, this one just started eating the adults food. Wasn't phased at all.

My adults paid no attention to them at all.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Can't help with the threads, but I put 2 of my juveniles with the adults the other day just to see what happened. One peed and pooped then ran as fast as s/he could for cover. Actually tried to push one of the adults out of the corner. I think s/he was very scared.
This juvenile is about 4.5" SLC.

My other juvenile is about 5" SCL, this one just started eating the adults food. Wasn't phased at all.

My adults paid no attention to them at all.
Are they ok to share an enclosure if the enclosure is big enough? What if it's a small enclosure? Would you be more concerned?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Are they ok to share an enclosure if the enclosure is big enough? What if it's a small enclosure? Would you be more concerned?
I personally wouldnt leave an adult with a juvenile unattended.
Why don't you make a smaller area in the large enclosure for your juvenile?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I personally wouldnt leave an adult with a juvenile unattended.
Why don't you make a smaller area in the large enclosure for your juvenile?
These aren't my torts. I just wanted to see if this size difference was risky and post a thread to this person to nudge them in the right direction.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
These aren't my torts. I just wanted to see if this size difference was risky and post a thread to this person to nudge them in the right direction.
I'd advise them to split them up. The larger tort is probably getting the better foods that is offered.

surfergirl

I am no expert but I have been watching tort behavior for years. I keep all mine separate because sometimes we don't know the danger until it's already too late. I think size really matters in this situation though. Small legs vs bigger mouth biting at them....kinda goes without saying.

I think once they are within an inch or so in size of each other in a very large enclosure you can house groups ok - for example have numerous feeding spots and numerous basking areas. I have almost seen perfect group environments where you have as many spots to feed/bask/hide/breed as there are tortoises and the competitive rivals seem to diminish.

It is about the survival of the fittest. Where their resources are low, aggression rises and it can be to eliminate each other so they can survive.

Resources can be food, water, basking areas, territory, space,breeding potential, etc.

Anyone who has ever lived in a small house with 5- 6 people of all different ages knows the challenges heck 2 people in a small house can be challenging Or just have 1 television in that house....lol

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I see marked aggression between my 2 torts when they are together. My 12oz tort butts, rams and bites the 12lb tortoise. At this point he doesn't even notice or care, but I think when she gets bigger I wont be able to let her near him because she just wants to pick on him.