Juli Ezzat

Juli Ezzat

Hello, my name is Juli I got a hatchling Hermann's tortoise January 24th of this year ( I'm pretty it is a she) her name is Viola. I have done a lot of research and have 75 gallon tank with the appropriate lights. I'm wondering about the right diet! She loves her weekly fruit I give her a small piece of fruit (either watermelon, strawberry, tomato) I was wondering what else she can eat for her weekly fruit! Most of her diet is dark leafy greens I was wondering if chard is ok for her I can't find much on it on the internet. She loves kale but I'm worried she might eat to much of it because if I give it to her with lettuce she eats the kale and leaves the lettuce. She doesn't like grass at least when I have feed it to her she hasn't touched it. She like dandelions but I heard they cause issues with calcium absorption like spinach which she does not eat. I planted a garden today ( all of my cold crops like kale, carrots add beets. She also seems to dislike carrots she won't touch them. I just want to make sure she eats right! O ya and I give her calcium supplements with vitamin D. I used to feed her cactus pads but I wasn't sure if the are good for her so I stopped.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Hello Juli and welcome! It sounds like you're doing a great job...I'll let the Hermann's experts help you out with your fruit question! As far as the greens, the dandelions are good for your little one. Have you tried giving him Mazuri pellets at all as treats?