Jtort1

Jtort1

Hello,

I'm Jen, proud mama to two russian torts. Oscar and Mia.
Mia is from Petsmart. I was disgusted when I saw her living conditions. No fresh greens just old dry pellets. Her eyes were closed and I thought she was sick so I was worried about her. She opened her eyes as soon as I brought her into my car. She's docile and he's firey. Sooo excited!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Hate to give you the bad news right from the get go, but that's what I do. Two Russians can't live together. They can be one of the worse for beating another up. They each need their own enclosure that is at the minimum a 4x8. An outdoor enclosure for summer months too. If you can give them a very big yard with a lot of sight barriers and a couple hides, water bowls, and feeding stations, there is a slight chance they could stay together if they are both females

Jtort1

Hi Wellington,
Yikes! Really? Will he taunt her or hurt her?

Jtort1

Well I have both for now and I'm attached. Can't predict the future

Jtort1

Appreciate both opinions/advice though.
For now they share a decent size room and are getting along.
If I have to make changes I will. My understanding is two males couldn't be together as they will fight to establish dominance as most males of other species do.

Jtort1

Thank you so much:)
That's something I would certainly consider down the road!

Jtort1

So I assumed that my new tort Mia is a female but it's possible she's a young male. I'll post a pic. Opinions/ advice are always appreciated.

20170707_095619.jpg

Jtort1

The Petsmart in my area said it was male but after I saw what they were "feeding" this poor thing I didn't believe anything they said.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Too young to tell, but looks female in this picture

Last edited:

Jtort1

Hello everyone,

So I'm enjoying my russian torts and the one I thought was a girl I now suspect is a male. The tail is starting to curb a bit to the left. Anyway, my little one is eating well. Loves spinach and mixed greens. The older male approx 5 to 6 years isn't eating much at all. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
J

AmberD

Ontario
As stated above it is not a good idea to house them together. This could be why your older one is no longer eating as much as he used to. The signs of bullying can be subtle. Your older one was used to having his own space and now that has been changed. It would be best to keep them separated. And who knows what the little one could have brought in from the pet store. Generally should quarantine before ever having contact. Hope this helps!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Jtort1

Hi everyone,

So, after reading several of these threads I decided to try butternut squash and green pepper for my older tort Oscar. Success!
So happy to see him eat. Thank you for all the suggestions. Glad to have this forum to chat with other tort keepers!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Butternut squash may be okay for fruit eaters like redfoots but not great for Testudo, though a little won't hurt, I wouldn't make it a staple.
Likewise, red pepper is too high in sugars for Russian torts.
Sorry, but their diet should be primarily broad-leafed weeds and greens.
Happy Birthday, by the way ! :)