IVORY SULCATA THREAD: Aladar's Babies! (ULTRA PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Jeez! I'm happy if where I live gets above 75.

Funny thing! When I need to cool them down...I simply return them to their chamber! I can maintain it at 85ºF just by turning it off! OFF...the temps roll between 85º and 90º...and 100% humidity! Of course, this is one of the days they spend in the kiddie pool...in 1/8 of an inch of water...with little sun exposure...i.e. whatever rays manage to sneak through the slats of the pergola!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings Dean

Thanks for taking the time to provide your periodic updates. Really great pix of your cuties! They really like to gorge themselves. What do they weigh in at now that they are just about 2 months old?

Keep the pix coming.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
They are all hovering around 50 grams...depending on the day's food intake, elimination, exercise and heat! They literally can drop 5 grams over the course of the day, but they are all at 50g in the AM...excpet for IT-1...he NEVER loses...only gains!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
This morning, the ITs found their own hides within the cactus garden! I sprayed all three...once the ground moisture dried (after 25 minutes), I moved them back to their closed chamber! I'll bring 'em back out in a few hours to soak in the kiddie pool...for about two hours! They love it!

IT-1
DSC_0355.JPG
IT-2
DSC_0356.JPG
IT-3
DSC_0353.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Also...the ITs found a new growth pad and were feeding on it ravenously. I moved it to their feeding pad...and they kept it up!
DSC_0359.JPG

this is what was left...I know they didn't take down much, but it's still a good amount...and shows how strong their bite is getting!
DSC_0357.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Today, the ITs found their way to a patch of new sprouting grass...and they went nuts! This is actually the first time I've seen them eat grass willingly (usually, I sneak a blade or two in when hand-feeding cactus). Also, today was the first time I noticed that IT-3 has a split scute...

DSC_0362.JPG DSC_0363.JPG DSC_0361.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking really good. They always have such bold and determined looks on their faces. Thanks for the updates.

Last edited:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Do you have a picture of where they spend a few hours outdoors in the kiddie pool? They are adorable.
Here's one that gives a good idea of what they do...they roam all over...and because it's round, I have little issue with flipping...unless they decide to go over (rather than around) each other!DSC_0396.JPG

IT-2 is always looking for a way out! It doen't matter if he's in the pool, the yard, a mini-biome or the chamber...he wants to be on the move...perpetual motion is his motto! And YES! That is him high-stepping in the background in the top photo!
DSC_0394.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Is there anything to do about the eco earth/coco coir staining their heads? I am having the same "problem".
Don't worry about it! They get bigger...and shed a lot! In a couple years, I doubt there'll be ANY staining at all...plus, I think it gives them a little character! ;)

That's really my way of saying...I use nothing but this combination...and that's the only thing I'll ever use...until they move outdoors permanently!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
OH YEAH! I can't believe I forgot already! The ITs turned two months old yesterday! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.