IVORY SULCATA THREAD: Aladar's Babies! (ULTRA PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
One week ago today, I acquired three of Aladar's offspring! I'm gonna take a second to let you all know...these guys are fun! A real joy! So, I haven't seen much feeding activity...some crumbled egg shells...a few holes in the paper towel substrate...but hard to ascertain if they were feeding on greens. So today, I tried something a little different...FirstFeed.JPG

I sprinkled three little pinches of Mazuri...and they went nuts...for a second. Apparently, they were so excited about the new offering...they all went to sleep...within a minute! They all measure a tad over 2" and their weights remain the same as yesterday! Also, as seen in the above photo, I'm trying a new watermark...thoughts?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
A little surprised...one of the hatchlings pooped...it contained greens, was fibrous and resembled an adult poo...only super-friggin' tiny! Unfortunately, I soaked them together, so I can't say who it was...that won't happen again! ;)

Todays weights
IT-1 and IT-3: 34 grams
IT-2: 39 grams

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there any way to make your mark a little smaller? It sort of interferes with the picture, but then, I guess that's the whole idea, huh?

I never get tired of looking at these babies. (Or yours either, J.D.)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
So...these past few days, the three ITs have spent as much time on their backs as they have right side up...frustrating but I'm using no light source...and the RHP is more of an environmental heat source...rather than direct. Still...I don't like it much! So, starting today, I am lining their habitat (a Sterilite Shoe Box within a Sterilite Sweater Box) with a bed of food items...i.e. various flowers, leaves, grasses and weeds...with a bit of soaked Mazuri and Grassland every couple of days! They seem to like it so far...nobody's upside down! And you get to see photos of the results.

Today's weights...

IT-1: 40 grams
IT-2: 38 grams
IT-3: 37 grams

IT-1
DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG
IT-2
DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0040.JPG
IT-3
DSC_0048.JPG DSC_0042.JPG
The Three ITs!
DSC_0058.JPG

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The sequence of "IT-1" is hilarious. Almost like a slide show..."uhhhhhhh do I want to eat that flower pedal, ooooooooor this one?" Ha. Great photos Dean.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is smart Dean. Wish I had thought of that. I use edible grass hay for bedding for some of my older outdoor tortoises, why not for hatchlings? The babies probably love it in there now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed that too. I almost said something. Funny that you pointed it out. I didn't remember that Aladar had that trait, I just noticed it on your babies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That is smart Dean. Wish I had thought of that. I use edible grass hay for bedding for some of my older outdoor tortoises, why not for hatchlings? The babies probably love it in there now.

I still have a couple layers of damp paper towels underneath...to prolong the freshness of the flora in the tub...plus the combination (I feel) provides a healthier humid environment

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Omg the pictures of them in the blossoms is TORTURE! I want one of them SO badly! One of the most beautiful animals I've ever seen!
Thank you for sharing. And TORTuring me HAHAHAHAHA

Elohi(Earth)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Omg the pictures of them in the blossoms is TORTURE! I want one of them SO badly! One of the most beautiful animals I've ever seen!
Thank you for sharing. And TORTuring me HAHAHAHAHA

Elohi(Earth)

TORTure...I like that! Actually, the first thing that comes to mind is that great scene in RESERVOIR DOGS. Not for the squeamish...and Tom did not actually train any dogs for that film. :p

Congrats on creating some new TORT lingo! You get full credit...because this is the first time I've heard TORT used in this context! ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those are probably the most beautiful pictures I have seen. It's like you staged them for a professional shoot. Love the beak on them and their daddy too.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
They look awesome, Dean. Have you taken any plastron shots yet? If so, do you mind posting them?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
They look awesome, Dean. Have you taken any plastron shots yet? If so, do you mind posting them?

I know! I know! Tom made the same request...but I'm waiting until they flip over...because I my only operating lens at the moment is a 300mm it's kinda hard to hold 'em up and shoot. We'll see what happens today.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well...as fate would have it...all three managed to flip themselves over, so we get a chance peek at their plastrons...as you can see (or maybe you can't ;) ...IT-3 had a split that is closing quite nicely...but managed to scare the s**t of me for a week or so...FUNNY THING worth mentioning...ALL three managed to flip while eating and kept on doing so...UPSIDE DOWN!

ITplastron20140524.JPG

Also, I managed a cool feeding shot...and a nice baby yawn...part of a series, but you get the idea!

ITeat.JPG

ITyawn.JPG

Today's weights...
IT-1: 41 grams
IT-2: 39 grams
IT-3: 33 grams (a little light...but she pooped, so it makes sense)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know how you catch all those open mouth shots...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
So! I've already heard from quite a few of you regarding their chamber. They're kept in a Sterilite shoe box...within a Sterilte sweater box. I have a 40 watt Reptile Basics RHP mounted inside the lid of the sweater box. The probe sits just above the lid of the shoe box while the Acurite probe floats about 3 inches above the babies. It fluctuates between 88* and 92*F...inside the shoe box. I continue to line the shoe box with damp paper towels...and dump various grasses, weeds, herbs and flowers over it...essentially a flower bed for them to enjoy for the next couple weeks...at which time I'll transfer them to a larger chamber. My current plan is to recreate their current living conditions on a larger scale. Prepping the flowers, etc takes about an hour...between cutting and chopping grasses and weeds, rinsing/drying leaves and flowers...etc.

Here's a quick glimpse into prep...the ingredients? Various grasses (rye, bluegrass, fescues, African graze mix), weeds (mallow, dandelion, black medic, white clover) and flowers/leaves (Hibiscus [tropical and hearty {Rose of Sharon}], roses and Mexican petunia)

Attachments

• DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0200.JPG
    DSC_0200.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG