It's finally happened to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
SDC10287.JPG

I've had it up to HERE w/ Russians! They are the sneakiest tortoises ever! Every day I visit my parents house to check up on my tortoises. They live in a 4x18 enclosure. And every once in a while my mom or nieces would tell me about Boris' attempt to escape.

Well that little rascal finally succeeded! It only took him one day to dig a hole INSIDE of his cave and crawl out.

My problem was that the substrate that the cave was sitting on was a bark type mulch, so it was very soft. I didn't notice because I had JUST redone the enclosure...so it was new and I didn't get a chance to test that specific area out.

He had the entire day to travel around the yard. It just so happened that day that the side wood fence entrance to the yard had an opening JUST ENOUGH for him to slide his grubby self through it and run off.

I'm bummed. Lost a male Russian that was graciously given to me because the owner was moving out of state.

FAIL.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am sorry to hear....well, you will just have to have faith and look around/ sprinkler action/ food.... I wish you and Boris reunite soon ;)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
laramie said:
I am so sorry to hear about Boris :( I hope he comes home.

Lilithlee said:
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I so he turns up:(

Jacob said:

ascott said:
I am sorry to hear....well, you will just have to have faith and look around/ sprinkler action/ food.... I wish you and Boris reunite soon ;)

Thanks guys. I've done everything that I can think of...we basically had a search party that consisted of my family. Even my nieces joined the search.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The sad part is they are small and they are good hiders.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Don't give up....they are absolutely a creature of habit/routine is key in their life....try to see if you can catch him during the times you would have fed him/soaked/sprayed him...maybe try to leave out a soaking dish and food dish outside of the enclosure in the event he is still around...

After you secure your other tortoise I would maybe leave the gate open and give him a chance to come on back....won't hurt to try is all I am saying...

Don't give up :p

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Don't give up, just keep looking. They are very good hiders as they are escape artist.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you and Boris....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just so you know, one of my males escaped last year and I found him the next day. My neighbor was screaming her head off she thought he was gonna bite her.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks

Yup...I've tried the yard watering, food, and have even dug up the dirt around the yard just in case. I'm 95% sure he's escaped.

I might post some signs soon on my moms street.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dont give up on him dude....you may be able to trace him around the way he may have walked out the gate....if you got down to his level and took a look around can you see a favorable direction you would take if you were him?

Dont give up...... :tort:

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
OH man. I'm sorry to hear it. Maybe you can entice him out by hanging out with one of your females by the gate. Or take her for a walk where you think he might have gone?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sorry to hear that! I can see that happening quite easily.
I agree with posting signs, and just letting neighbors in the area know to look out.
It is like looking for a needle in a haystack, they can be so close but well hidden.
Keep trying!

Nonameredfoot

5 Year Member
I read that some torts follow their scent paths in the wild, maybe he'll follow his path back to the pen to visit his friends! I am brand new to torts and my little red foot is soooo fast! and if hes headed for danger and I move him he heads straight back for it lol! I have to keep a close eye on him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DON'T GIVE UP!!! Just keep telling yourself that he did NOT just disappear into thin air. He is sitting somewhere right now. You just have to find that somewhere.

We've all been there man, don't despair. Your friends are here for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.