Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Branching out, huhTerry?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I guess so Yvonne - haven't kept "basking-herbivores" in quite awhile! And since I have no interest in breeding redfoot tortoises anymore.. and as described - thought it was now or never.

Something about those yellow skirts on these little girls!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I guess so Yvonne - haven't kept "basking-herbivores" in quite awhile! And since I have no interest in breeding redfoot tortoises anymore.. and as described - thought it was now or never.

Something about those yellow skirts on these little girls!!!
Your not aloud to branch. User name says redfoot nerd not all tortoise nerd :p i messed up now i can only drink millerlite.. Just messing with ya. Very cool guys. Are they all related ? Future breeding group ?

Kyle

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Your not aloud to branch. User name says redfoot nerd not all tortoise nerd :p i messed up now i can only drink millerlite.. Just messing with ya. Very cool guys. Are they all related ? Future breeding group ?

Kyle

Kyle how related is one male and more than one female? I do not know if they are siblings.. will ask the breeder and answer then. They were incubated at 87 as I recall.. so most likely they are females.

Usernames are just names that we use - - how about I am a.k.a. "TerpNerd" .. then?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Terry. I didn't realize the bloom had worn off the redfooted rose. I knew that you seemed more interested in the DBTs, but didn't realize you had lost interest in the RFs. You still have them though, right? I don't know why, but the marginateds have never captured my interest. Good luck with your new girls. Keep us informed with their development.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yvonne you know I'll always have the .carbonaria species .. will post my current group directly.

Yes.. interest has gone to the Malaclemys .. diamondback terrapins. I've become a serious advocate of "Brackish Water" care. Have no idea why they are kept in 'fresh' water. The only real excuse I'm getting is - "It's easier for me". - which is total nonsense because it's not easier and it costs more to filter and maintain in fresh water. [ will leave that alone here ]

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

Kyle

They are siblings Kyle.. breeder says... " One unrelated male and you have a 1.3 group." I would much rather have 2.2... less hatches... much better variety tho'..

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've always wanted a marginated baby. Congratulations!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Well, my username is tglazie, so I guess I should be keeping tglazies, whatever those are.

Yeah, margies are great. Hope you have some girls there. From someone who has raised over twenty five tortoises to arrive at my 3.3, I wish you better odds than what I experienced, but hey, boys, girls, any marginated is an awesome marginated. Just make sure to separate them once they come of age. They tend to turn into jerks around six to seven inches length, even before you can readily tell what sex they are, and in my experience, they are just the single most difficult species to sex. I mean, Hermanns are probably the easiest from the group of eight I fostered and the juveniles I've seen in my friend Glen's collection. Maybe redfoots are about as difficult to sex, but margies, ooh boy. I used to joke that I didn't know my Lady Gino was a lady until she dropped an infertile egg into the dirt. I mean, I joke, but not really, given that I was legitimately unsure if she was just another boy until she did this. Joey, a male I acquired from Chris a few years back as a temp sexed female, turned out to be a boy who flashed me just last year. The bigger he gets, the more obvious it is that he's a boy, but only two years ago, I was still very uncertain.

Regardless, though, margies are great. Definitely my favorite Mediterranean species.

T.G.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they are indeed exceptional animals

M

Maggie Cummings

DSCN2785.JPG Beautiful Terry, great camera too!
This is from your seeds. One plant with white with red centers, and solid white blossoms. From your seeds I now have 52 Rose of Sharon trees/bushes. Some are taller than my house. I have pink, red, white, white/red, lavender and blue. Thank you so much. They are beautiful, and when they are all in bloom people stop and take pictures....

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Usernames are just names that we use - - how about I am a.k.a. "TerpNerd" .. then?

You wanna buy my user name.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
View attachment 187213 Beautiful Terry, great camera too!
This is from your seeds. One plant with white with red centers, and solid white blossoms. From your seeds I now have 52 Rose of Sharon trees/bushes. Some are taller than my house. I have pink, red, white, white/red, lavender and blue. Thank you so much. They are beautiful, and when they are all in bloom people stop and take pictures....

Thank you @maggie3fan .. Yes those 'Rose-of-Sharon' are very prolific! I also have 'baby plants' sprouting up 20' or more from the mother plants! Sounds like you received all the colors!!! Not a bad $5 investment huh?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
These guys reportedly cherish greens rich in nutrients... so Kale had to be one they will like - me thinks -

Although it takes several 'snaps' to get a few that are not 'blurred' from their "bites" - the few that are..

These "Hi-tech" cameras amaze me with the details we seldom see otherwise --- luck helps too -