It's almost time to bring my new Sulcata home! But first...

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys. My last post was in January! Since then, I have continued to read/research through the suggested pages on this forum, coupled with a few other resources. All have been extremely helpful and consistently aligned with what the other sources say- which is comforting because I'm a bit of a nervous nelly. I like to think it's mostly just the excitement of a new journey :)

I haven't determined the exact age of the Sulcata I'll be picking up, but it's a 'baby'. More on that to come. So these questions I have will be for a tortoise who is less than a year old.

However, after reading through, I still have a few questions. I live in Las Vegas and am a homeowner with a backyard that's larger than the typical backyard in Vegas. We are in our spring/summer months with temps in the 80's-90's during the day and 60's-70's at night. Generally, I work from home so I have the luxury of being able to keep a bit of a closer eye on things. With those things mentioned in mind....

How about two enclosures- one outside and one inside? Natural sunlight is something I keep reading over and over- which I like to enjoy myself, and my daytime work space is accommodating to this. My spring and early summer temps seem ideal for this as well. Does anyone else do this? Would a heating pad really be necessary in these warmer months if my indoor house temperatures don't drop below 75-80 degrees?

I also have the option of buying an A vs B grade tortoise. I tried to research a bit and it seems as though B tortoises don't have 'perfect' shell markings. I am ok with this as long as they are healthy, but is that the only difference?

Male vs female? I have heard that males hump things or their *ahem* turtle parts come out. Like most animals, everyone has different personalities. Are there any notable differences gender wise though- ie more aggression in males vs females, timidness, etc.

Sorry if these are answered elsewhere! I tried to be as thorough as possible but these are just some late night specifics running through my head at 2:30 AM :)

Greta16

Western Maine
I was sold what I was told was a female baby Hermanns. From what the experts on here have told me, you can't sex a baby. Makes me a little leary about my breeder now. As far as heat and temps go I'll let the experts advise you on that. Good luck.

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
I was sold what I was told was a female baby Hermanns. From what the experts on here have told me, you can't sex a baby. Makes me a little leary about my breeder now. As far as heat and temps go I'll let the experts advise you on that. Good luck.

Hi Greta :) Good morning. I haven't asked about males or females yet, all I know is that they are babies. I had to inquire just in case I was offered a choice. I'm getting my enclosure set up hopefully today. After more reading, I think I have the heat thing down. All should be good at night because my temps are consistently 75-80 throughout the night at this point. I'm not worried about wintertime temps just yet, but having a plan would be nice.

Bee62

Germany
Hello,

as @Greta16 already said: Young tortoises especially baby tortoises can`t be sexed. Even a breeder can`t say if a baby tortoise is male or female. So you have no choice between male or female if you buy a baby. You must take what you get and wait until he or she is older...:)

A or B tortoises ? Shell marks as extra scutes are no health problem and makes the tortoise especially.
I would ask if the babies are kept dry.... If the seller answers proud that he keeps the sulcata babies very dry you should not buy any tortoise there. Because they are already sick at the moment you buy them.
If you find a good breeder who keeps the babies warm and humid that would be my adress to buy a tort.

Sunlight and temps:
Natural sunlight and being outdoor is the best for a tortoise, even for a baby. But for a baby you need an outdoor and indoor enclosure. Choose a closed chamber for indoors. That will make it easier to keep the right temps and humidity.
I won`t let a baby tortoise outdoor at night.
But please use no heat pad for any enclosure ! It could burn your tortoise and damage the shell.
Install a UVB bulb for indoors and a heat lamp for the basking spot. Sulcatas need an area in their enclosure where it is 100 F warm. If you are sure that the night temps in your house never drop below 77 F you need no CHE. But to have one is better than to have a sick baby with a respiration infect.

Greta16

Western Maine
Hi Greta :) Good morning. I haven't asked about males or females yet, all I know is that they are babies. I had to inquire just in case I was offered a choice. I'm getting my enclosure set up hopefully today. After more reading, I think I have the heat thing down. All should be good at night because my temps are consistently 75-80 throughout the night at this point. I'm not worried about wintertime temps just yet, but having a plan would be nice.
The wintertime temp thing sucks and I don't have a baby sucata. I would suggest a closed chamber before winter. I live in maine in an old drafty house. My husband and I are making a closed chamber this summer so come winter I won't have to worry at all about temps.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi guys. My last post was in January! Since then, I have continued to read/research through the suggested pages on this forum, coupled with a few other resources. All have been extremely helpful and consistently aligned with what the other sources say- which is comforting because I'm a bit of a nervous nelly. I like to think it's mostly just the excitement of a new journey :)

I haven't determined the exact age of the Sulcata I'll be picking up, but it's a 'baby'. More on that to come. So these questions I have will be for a tortoise who is less than a year old.
The best thing you can do for your Sulcata is stick to @Tom's instructions on 'How to raise a healthy Sulcata'
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And his 'For those who have a young Sulcata'
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

They are proven time and again to be the best way to keep a Sulcata.

And what @Bee62 says about asking the breeder says about how they're started is really important. They need to be started in warm humid conditions and not in arid desert conditions.

However, after reading through, I still have a few questions. I live in Las Vegas and am a homeowner with a backyard that's larger than the typical backyard in Vegas. We are in our spring/summer months with temps in the 80's-90's during the day and 60's-70's at night. Generally, I work from home so I have the luxury of being able to keep a bit of a closer eye on things. With those things mentioned in mind....

How about two enclosures- one outside and one inside? Natural sunlight is something I keep reading over and over- which I like to enjoy myself, and my daytime work space is accommodating to this. My spring and early summer temps seem ideal for this as well. Does anyone else do this? Would a heating pad really be necessary in these warmer months if my indoor house temperatures don't drop below 75-80 degrees?
I don't know much about the Vegas climate except it's UK reputation for being hot and dry and for everyone having aircon which lowers humidity.

If that is the case, then I wouldn't put a baby outside and inside a closed chamber is essential.

Raising a Sulcata by @Tom's method keeps them inside until they're bigger anyway and then lets them out for an hour a day for each inch of tort. He's in SoCal which is also pretty hot and dry.

A heat mat is not recommended except for night box. A Ceramic Heat Emitter, used with a thermostat, can be in the enclosure and switched on 24/7. It will only cut in when temperature drops - the thermostat stops it wasting your electricity and, more importantly, stops it cooking your tortoise.

I also have the option of buying an A vs B grade tortoise. I tried to research a bit and it seems as though B tortoises don't have 'perfect' shell markings. I am ok with this as long as they are healthy, but is that the only difference?
No idea. Wet versus dry is more important in my mind.
Male vs female? I have heard that males hump things or their *ahem* turtle parts come out. Like most animals, everyone has different personalities. Are there any notable differences gender wise though- ie more aggression in males vs females, timidness, etc.
Unless you buy a mature animal you will have no idea of gender. They can be "incubated to be" a particular gender, but there are no guarantees and many mistakes.

Young males do sometimes go through a phase where they like to "experiment with their equipment". My Greek did it too. It happens with males of all animals. Both male and female are territorial and won't tolerate another tortoise in their patch... their humans are usually fine.

Sorry if these are answered elsewhere! I tried to be as thorough as possible but these are just some late night specifics running through my head at 2:30 AM :)
No problem. You're buying a baby that will very rapidly grow into a 100lb+ bulldozer that won't go round anything, including walls, and that you won't be able to lift. It's best to be as prepared as possible.

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
Hello,

as @Greta16 already said: Young tortoises especially baby tortoises can`t be sexed. Even a breeder can`t say if a baby tortoise is male or female. So you have no choice between male or female if you buy a baby. You must take what you get and wait until he or she is older...:)

A or B tortoises ? Shell marks as extra scutes are no health problem and makes the tortoise especially.
I would ask if the babies are kept dry.... If the seller answers proud that he keeps the sulcata babies very dry you should not buy any tortoise there. Because they are already sick at the moment you buy them.
If you find a good breeder who keeps the babies warm and humid that would be my adress to buy a tort.

Sunlight and temps:
Natural sunlight and being outdoor is the best for a tortoise, even for a baby. But for a baby you need an outdoor and indoor enclosure. Choose a closed chamber for indoors. That will make it easier to keep the right temps and humidity.
I won`t let a baby tortoise outdoor at night.
But please use no heat pad for any enclosure ! It could burn your tortoise and damage the shell.
Install a UVB bulb for indoors and a heat lamp for the basking spot. Sulcatas need an area in their enclosure where it is 100 F warm. If you are sure that the night temps in your house never drop below 77 F you need no CHE. But to have one is better than to have a sick baby with a respiration infect.

Thank you for answering! I decided not to go with a heating pad and I appreciate the affirmation in doing so. We don't really run the AC because it's easier to keep my house cool/warm and we prefer to acclimate ourselves in our house instead of keeping it at 65 all year round- too expensive and impractical. The only reason I am sure of the indoor temp is because I am a light sleeper and get up a lot during the night, I usually check the thermostat to make sure my son (who refuses to stay covered up with a blanket) is going to be ok without one. Last night we were at 77/8/9.

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
The best thing you can do for your Sulcata is stick to @Tom's instructions on 'How to raise a healthy Sulcata'
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And his 'For those who have a young Sulcata'
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

They are proven time and again to be the best way to keep a Sulcata.

And what @Bee62 says about asking the breeder says about how they're started is really important. They need to be started in warm humid conditions and not in arid desert conditions.

I don't know much about the Vegas climate except it's UK reputation for being hot and dry and for everyone having aircon which lowers humidity.

If that is the case, then I wouldn't put a baby outside and inside a closed chamber is essential.

Raising a Sulcata by @Tom's method keeps them inside until they're bigger anyway and then lets them out for an hour a day for each inch of tort. He's in SoCal which is also pretty hot and dry.

A heat mat is not recommended except for night box. A Ceramic Heat Emitter, used with a thermostat, can be in the enclosure and switched on 24/7. It will only cut in when temperature drops - the thermostat stops it wasting your electricity and, more importantly, stops it cooking your tortoise.

No idea. Wet versus dry is more important in my mind.

Unless you buy a mature animal you will have no idea of gender. They can be "incubated to be" a particular gender, but there are no guarantees and many mistakes.

Young males do sometimes go through a phase where they like to "experiment with their equipment". My Greek did it too. It happens with males of all animals. Both male and female are territorial and won't tolerate another tortoise in their patch... their humans are usually fine.

No problem. You're buying a baby that will very rapidly grow into a 100lb+ bulldozer that won't go round anything, including walls, and that you won't be able to lift. It's best to be as prepared as possible.

Hi JoesMum! Those were the threads that I poured over early this morning. A lot of great info and answered all of my remaining questions except for one, which you answered (about the outdoor time) so thank you for doing so :) The breeder I am getting my tortoise from only has "B" grade options so I just thought I would ask. I don't mind the different shell markings as long as it is healthy. These breeders also run the desert tortoise rescue and are recognized by the state government so I know they are legit! They also openly post exactly what temp and climate/specific food and watering routine they are doing with the tortoises right on the page where you purchase them. It's a family run business, too- which I always appreciate supporting.

Thanks for all the responses! I am looking forward to putting together the tortoises home today with my family and picking up the tortoise tomorrow.

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
Also, I had a question about foods- I have seen the list and tried to find the answer to this question, but if I purchase a botanical blend or just timothy hay and add in my own variation of dried herbs, should I leave them dry? moisten them with a bit of water? And the same question goes for dried herbs in general. I make a lot of my own teas so I buy organic dried herbs in bulk.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also, I had a question about foods- I have seen the list and tried to find the answer to this question, but if I purchase a botanical blend or just timothy hay and add in my own variation of dried herbs, should I leave them dry? moisten them with a bit of water? And the same question goes for dried herbs in general. I make a lot of my own teas so I buy organic dried herbs in bulk.
Buying dried foods and making a tort eat them are different matters.

I never got my Greek to accept dried foods of any sort no matter what I did to them :rolleyes:

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
Buying dried foods and making a tort eat them are different matters.

I never got my Greek to accept dried foods of any sort no matter what I did to them :rolleyes:

Thank you for humoring me and responding to my thread. I always find that after I do a bit more digging, I find the answer to my question (from Tom, no less :) ) Variety is good! I am really looking forward to this new adventure.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you for answering! I decided not to go with a heating pad and I appreciate the affirmation in doing so. We don't really run the AC because it's easier to keep my house cool/warm and we prefer to acclimate ourselves in our house instead of keeping it at 65 all year round- too expensive and impractical. The only reason I am sure of the indoor temp is because I am a light sleeper and get up a lot during the night, I usually check the thermostat to make sure my son (who refuses to stay covered up with a blanket) is going to be ok without one. Last night we were at 77/8/9.
Like you, I live in an area where temperature swings are pretty significant day to night. Especially in summer. I also tend to use the Air conditioning much less than most people do. However, I have found the temperature the house thermostat says is often quite different than the temperatures in different areas of the house, and next to the incubator, by the turtle tank, or by a window, or a back room. House thermostats are mounted centrally, not near an outside wall, and about 5" high. Without using central heat or air, you will find a significant difference in the temperature at night in the house in various areas. You attic heats you home all night. The center of the house 5' high will stay quite warm. The rooms closer to the outside of the house will be more effected by outside temps.

Wherever you locate the enclosure for your tortoise, be sure to check THOSE temperatures. I think you will find you will need overnight heat for a good portion of the year. Your younger tortoise will benefit from a much more stable and warm 80° + temperature.

I also would be a bit leery of buying from a source who lists B grade tortoises. That, to me, is an indicator of a larger operation just turning tortoises. There are several great breeders here on the forum who you know are providing healthy, well started babies. It is actually quite hard to find a well started baby elsewhere! You have already mentioned the help @Tom has provided with his experience and posts on how to do things right - why not buy one from him? I was there visiting 10 days ago and saw many well started babies he has right now. To me it would be worth KNOWING I was getting a tortoise started properly as that is so vital in how healthy it will be for many decades to come.

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
Like you, I live in an area where temperature swings are pretty significant day to night. Especially in summer. I also tend to use the Air conditioning much less than most people do. However, I have found the temperature the house thermostat says is often quite different than the temperatures in different areas of the house, and next to the incubator, by the turtle tank, or by a window, or a back room. House thermostats are mounted centrally, not near an outside wall, and about 5" high. Without using central heat or air, you will find a significant difference in the temperature at night in the house in various areas. You attic heats you home all night. The center of the house 5' high will stay quite warm. The rooms closer to the outside of the house will be more effected by outside temps.

Wherever you locate the enclosure for your tortoise, be sure to check THOSE temperatures. I think you will find you will need overnight heat for a good portion of the year. Your younger tortoise will benefit from a much more stable and warm 80° + temperature.

I also would be a bit leery of buying from a source who lists B grade tortoises. That, to me, is an indicator of a larger operation just turning tortoises. There are several great breeders here on the forum who you know are providing healthy, well started babies. It is actually quite hard to find a well started baby elsewhere! You have already mentioned the help @Tom has provided with his experience and posts on how to do things right - why not buy one from him? I was there visiting 10 days ago and saw many well started babies he has right now. To me it would be worth KNOWING I was getting a tortoise started properly as that is so vital in how healthy it will be for many decades to come.

The thermostat I checked is located right next to where the enclosure is. I actually just looked at Tom's ad but I can't respond. It is locked. I would like to get one from him if they are still available :) I'd actually prefer it.

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
Also, there have been many people on this forum who have posts dating back from 2014 in regards to this particular person that I will be locally picking up the tortoise from. All reviews have been nothing but positive! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The thermostat I checked is located right next to where the enclosure is. I actually just looked at Tom's ad but I can't respond. It is locked. I would like to get one from him if they are still available :) I'd actually prefer it.
Try sending him a message through TFO rather than posting in the thread :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Also, there have been many people on this forum who have posts dating back from 2014 in regards to this particular person that I will be locally picking up the tortoise from. All reviews have been nothing but positive! :)
If recommended by established member here, you are probably fine. That is what I would look for.

Ads on the forum are closed. You need to respond by starting a conversation with the poster - PM 'ing them Click on their avatar or name below, and then select start a conversation. On a mobile phone you have to go to the messages menu, and select conversations. The click to start a new one and type in the name of the person with whom you wish to converse.

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
If recommended by established member here, you are probably fine. That is what I would look for.

Ads on the forum are closed. You need to respond by starting a conversation with the poster - PM 'ing them Click on their avatar or name below, and then select start a conversation. On a mobile phone you have to go to the messages menu, and select conversations. The click to start a new one and type in the name of the person with whom you wish to converse.

Thanks for the help, Mark. I'll be sure to double check the temps throughout the day and evening tonight with my temp gun as well, just to be sure. And I will message Tom!