it is weird question!

gukaguka21

guys i dont and answer me pls ! can or not mytortoise remember my face and voice?? :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure my tortoises recognise me. I'm the food goddess. And they come to me looking for food. When I have someone here to "take the tour" the tortoises are not so forthcoming. But since the food goddess is always alone, maybe it's just a multiple human thing.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
They respond differently to different people, so yes, I'd say they recognize faces. How long they remember those faces, I don't know.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think Charlie recognizes me. He treats me differently than other people who come into the yard. I don't think he necessarily recognizes my face. It could be something else about me, my voice or the way I walk, what my feet look like. My face is a long ways away from his most of the time, since he is so short!

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I think Charlie recognizes me. He treats me differently than other people who come into the yard. I don't think he necessarily recognizes my face. It could be something else about me, my voice or the way I walk, what my feet look like. My face is a long ways away from his most of the time, since he is so short!
Since he is so short! lol this is funny!!!

Yeah, than at least tortoise can recognize their owner? nice, they are not so ignorant after all.
I have little experience though i can't sure if it is something about recognize me. when my tort get startled, he will put all his head inside his shell and cover his head with his hand/leg, this time i will call his name and put my face in front of his face, when he sees me, he come out directly not frighten anymore. And there was once, he was eating and i was besides him. he get startled by his own leaves because the leaves just keep poking his face and go deeper to his neck, he was so afraid , that was the first time i saw him pull his head so inside his shell, i picked him up, called his name, i can see he can't see me, his eyes is blocked entirely by his hand. so i called several times and gently pet his hand, he try to get more inside his shell, he didn't know it was me. then i didn't pet him anymore and just kept calling his name (yes i think tortoise is deaf based on this, he was not really respond with sound). not the sound he was responding, but the moment he peek out (i can see his black eyes), he saw me and directly came out of his shell entirely, then i pet his head and put him back to his tube to continue to eat. so cute but i still doubt this is him recognize me. need more proof.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think they recognize faces they don't really have different faces Per se, so I don't know if they'll recognize it in other species

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As others have said, Joe recognises me. Whether it's my shape, my smell or my face I have no idea, but he knows who brings the food in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't think they recognize faces they don't really have different faces Per se, so I don't know if they'll recognize it in other species
I wonder about that. There are subtle differences in tortoises faces, scales, coloration, etc.
has anyone ever studied if tortoises could recognize one another?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I wonder about that. There are subtle differences in tortoises faces, scales, coloration, etc.
has anyone ever studied if tortoises could recognize one another?
If you add a new tort to an existing herd there is definitely some checking the newbie out going on. Re-aligning the pecking order maybe. Whether it's the appearance or scent of the new addition that causes interest I don't know.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
This actually make sense

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My herd can also tell at a distance when the BOSS, Julio, emerges into the yard.
They all scatter. And Julio is the same size and shape of the others.
From what I've observed if there is some head on pushing the bigger tort usually ends up victorious, however one of my smaller females seems to be the bully,ive noticed this last couple of wks she wonders around the enclosure bobbing her head at any other tort that are near by, if the other tort doesn't move on she tries to bite their head forcing them to move, this same tort keeps sniffing the ground so I'm assuming she is gravid. We shall see.
I enjoy just sitting in the enclosure and observing without interfering to try and read what their actions are. This same bully started bobbing at what I think is the top dog, she would not back off, the bully backed away and moved on sniffing some more ground.
The aggressive female bobbing of the head is exactly the same motions as when a male wants to copulate with a female from what I can see, does this suggest males are forcing females into surrendering for the copulation process through a threatening behavior. I think it does.
All males seem to retreat to hides or another part of the enclosure when a female is showing signs of unease through being gravid. The females don't, they will stand ground for what I can only think is a potential nesting site.
Enough blah blah blah from me, back to work.
Back on topic.