Is this something to worry about? (small shell injury)

stutz

5 Year Member
I noticed this what I thought was a piece of substrate stuck on the inside of his shell so I pulled it off and it seems to have been part of his shell. There's a little groove there now and it's kind of pink at the back. I take him to the vet tomorrow to get checked. But was just wondering it wasn't there the day before.

IMG_20160817_161419697.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's too blurry to see good, however, it's so small as to be very insignificant. Just put a little dab of Neosporin on it. It should heal up ok.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would guess he hit something, or rammed it and nicked himself. Neosporin is fine, maybe a bit of anti-fungal first just in case.

stutz

5 Year Member
Yeah it was hard taking it and trying to hold him. It was like a piece of grass but his shell.

stutz

5 Year Member
The vet said she's not sure what caused it but usually it's from hitting something. She said it's nothing to worry about its not all the way through and it will grow back over. She gave me some nolvasan solution to put on it for infection.

stutz

5 Year Member
Oh and squirts 3 pounds and 6 ounces last year when we were there for a check up he was 13 ounces. She said he really look's good and couldn't believe how much he had grown.

stutz

5 Year Member
Emys I was told when we got him or her last year that he was 2 1/2 but I think more now he's 2 1/2 . He's 7 inches long and weighs 3 pounds 6 ounces.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The vet said she's not sure what caused it but usually it's from hitting something. She said it's nothing to worry about its not all the way through and it will grow back over. She gave me some nolvasan solution to put on it for infection.
The picture is not clear enough.:(

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Did you ever post a plastron pic to confirm he's emys? That is really good growth. I saved a pic of a m.e.e. from an Ohio member. I think he said she was 10?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-15-13-47-49.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-15-13-47-49.png
    923.5 KB · Views: 19