Is this shell rot?

Marianne M

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Is this shell rott? (S)he is a 5 month old red foot / cherry head.

I keep her on cypress mulch with moist spaghnum moss in the corners. I spray down the enclosure every morning, mostly on the plants and walls but the substrate does get a bit wet although it doesn't stay wet. The humidity is 80+.

Thanks!IMG_2653.jpg IMG_2604.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Is this shell rott? (S)he is a 5 month old red foot / cherry head.

I keep her on cypress mulch with moist spaghnum moss in the corners. I spray down the enclosure every morning, mostly on the plants and walls but the substrate does get a bit wet although it doesn't stay wet. The humidity is 80+.

Thanks!View attachment 212778 View attachment 212779
Can't see any issue with the plastron, the white stains look more like hard water stains or maybe calcium powder residue. Before you worry anymore try to wash/scrub it gently with very soft tooth brush, dry it off and see what it looks like then. Can also try to rub in little extra virgin organic coconut oil, if not sure still at that point, post another close-up well focused pic and we'll help with it but I don't really think it's shell rot. Btw I absolutely love how you have planted the enclosure:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But you can't be too careful. Actually, THAT is what the very beginning stage looks like - BEFORE the shell starts to be attacked. So take steps to get the top layer of substrate dried out, keeping the under portion a bit on the moist side.

Marianne M

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Thanks for your response. I have cleaned and rubbed the plastron with coconut oilIMG_2654.JPG
Not sure if if changes the assessment...?

By the way - does (s)he look too fat? (I am a new RF mom and just want to make sure I am doing everything right).

Marianne M

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Can't see any issue with the plastron, the white stains look more like hard water stains or maybe calcium powder residue. Before you worry anymore try to wash/scrub it gently with very soft tooth brush, dry it off and see what it looks like then. Can also try to rub in little extra virgin organic coconut oil, if not sure still at that point, post another close-up well focused pic and we'll help with it but I don't really think it's shell rot. Btw I absolutely love how you have planted the enclosure:)

Thanks for you kind words about the habitat. I have been trying to create a 'mini rainforest' and I think it turned out really well. This is what it looks like from the other angle.IMG_2610.jpg IMG_2605.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
You asked if she looks fat. I'd say no. If you look at the legs , especially where they come up into the shell , that is where fat deposits start to collect.

She looks good.