Is this shell rot?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @Ella185 and welcome to the forum!

You sent a message with NO pics.

Please post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
These are the pictures thanks
No. You tort looks nice and healthy. And he/she is adorable, too. GOD bless.

Any pics of his/her enclosure?

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the care sheets available and ask any question when in doubt. Make sure there's enough:

a) warmth
b) humidity

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Ella, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I can't see anything like shell rot on his plastron, though my eyesight is not as good as it was.
Where do you mean exactly ?
He may be starting to pyramid, though I'm not sure, make sure you give him regular warm soaks and that his humidity is high.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and our redfoot section should be useful to you as well as http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/
which has lots of good redfoot information.

Ella185

That's a relief, I'm just confused as to why he's beginning to turn quite white on his shell, I have a 80W heat lamp with UVB & UVA I also have a hydrometer to let me know if the moisture ever drops, thanks :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That's a relief, I'm just confused as to why he's beginning to turn quite white on his shell, I have a 80W heat lamp with UVB & UVA I also have a hydrometer to let me know if the moisture ever drops, thanks :)
A hygrometer, I hope.
Not a coiled/ compact bulb, i hope.
You mean the white lines between the scutes ?
I think this is just new growth or limescale.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How can you tell if they are starting to pyramid?
He looks pretty good, actually.
Sometimes if the new growth around the scutes is kind of trench like and the scutes look more raised up it can be the start of pyramiding.
But he looks lovely.

Ella185

Yes a hygrometer sorry :p and yes I was recommended the bulb and glow light, it is the exo terra brand and yes it is the white that I am mostly concerned about, I have recently just bathed him and the white has returned

Attachments

• 1485805338956.jpg
    1485805338956.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 19

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes a hygrometer sorry :p and yes I was recommended the bulb and glow light, it is the exo terra brand and yes it is the white that I am mostly concerned about, I have recently just bathed him and the white has returned
Looks fine to me, most definitely not shellrot, just new growth i think.
If it's a coiled or compact bulb it needs to be replaced. They can cause eye problems and may not put out the right levels of UVB. Use a strip
UVB light with a separate basking bulb.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The little one looks extremely dry to me. Several members use extra virgin coconut oil on the shells, they just rub a dab on really good and then use a towel to wipe off any excess. You might give that a try.

Ella185

Okay, thank you I did think he was a little dry but I'll try the coconut oil and see how that goes, it's put me at ease knowing he isn't starting to suffer a much more serious problem though :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Okay, thank you I did think he was a little dry but I'll try the coconut oil and see how that goes, it's put me at ease knowing he isn't starting to suffer a much more serious problem though :D
Don't worry. You cute little tort looks fine. And keep asking questions when in need of help. :)

Kasia

Poland
That white stuff could be a deposit from hard water (contains much calcium and magnesium) still it's a bit strange, how long do you have him? Was his shell that way when you got him?

Ella185

I've had him for about half a year now, he has only been starting to get this white stuff for about a month, it goes away once I bathe him however it comes back a little while later, he's eating well, he's active and he regularly passes stool so i can only imagine I just need to find a better method of bathing him so he doesn't get very dry

Kasia

Poland
I've had him for about half a year now, he has only been starting to get this white stuff for about a month, it goes away once I bathe him however it comes back a little while later, he's eating well, he's active and he regularly passes stool so i can only imagine I just need to find a better method of bathing him so he doesn't get very dry
Are his feeties that dry as well? Or is it just the shell? if both I would use athlets foot cream just in case, after a week maybe little more you should see an improvement. It looks like water deposit to me but it's hard to judge from a pic. Dryness can be a symptom of fungi growth.

Last edited:

Ella185

It's literally just his shell, I did change his substrate to soil but I wasn't sure that would make a difference and okay I shall try it

Ella185

I find his shell is usually worse when he's been in his water bowl, the water reaches just above the rim of his shell and above that is the part that seems to turn white