Is this shell rot

BobbyJ

Hello I just looked under my tortoises she'll and I noticed these marks ? I don't know what they are they are dry though and don't seem to hurt him when I touched them .. Please help me

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyJ

Here are a few more shots

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyJ

There have always been marks right on those spots but it just is very white now ... It's not flaky or anything . I'm not sure what to do

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks more like rub marks than fungus and it's NOT shell rot.
Is there like a cement pad or a big flat rock that he might drag that part of his shell across? A mark like that could be prone to fungus this time of year and it would hurt nothing to put a dab of athletes foot cream on the spots.
I.M.O. shell fungus looks very similar, but is kind of waxy feeling. At any rate, it's easily fixable even if it IS fungus....And I don't think that it is.

BobbyJ

It looks more like rub marks than fungus and it's NOT shell rot.
Is there like a cement pad or a big flat rock that he might drag that part of his shell across? A mark like that could be prone to fungus this time of year and it would hurt nothing to put a dab of athletes foot cream on the spots.
I.M.O. shell fungus looks very similar, but is kind of waxy feeling. At any rate, it's easily fixable even if it IS fungus....And I don't think that it is.
Yes I have two pieces of slate in the tank that i placed so he has to walk across at some point everyday because it's right between the CHE. And the log he sleeps in . I'll put a dab of the athletes foot cream on anyway . He's eating like a horse and really active also

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking that yes, it does look like shell rot. But Zero has more RF tortoises than I do, so I'm probably wrong. However, even if it isn't, you can still scrub it with a tooth brush and apply the athlete foot cream for a week or so just to be sure.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I can't really tell from the picture. Does any of the shell in the white areas feel soft and come off when you touch it? If it comes off, its shell rot. If I remember correctly, the book by Amanda Ebenheck recommends scrubbing shell rot with Novalsan once then applying athlete's foot cream so yes better safe than sorry.