Is this normal shell growth for a leopard?

acalirobin

Hi All,

I followed some advice on this forum and changed the food, water and habitat of my tortoise but he's started to grow his shell like the photos. He's really active and has been eating a lot and still going to the bathroom. I was hoping someone could tell me if I should be concerned or if this was normal.

Thank you all for your help!

Best wishes,

Robin

IMG_20160819_080431132[1].jpg IMG_20160819_080418478[1].jpg IMG_20160819_080407519[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
How long has it been since you implemented the changes?

From my experiences, some leopards will pyramid no matter what. Not a horrible pyramiding, but noticeable. So don't lose any sleep over a bit of pyramiding. It appears to have some pyramiding started, but the new growth may be better...it's hard to tell when the growth starts out so maybe post another picture in about a week.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi All,

I followed some advice on this forum and changed the food, water and habitat of my tortoise but he's started to grow his shell like the photos. He's really active and has been eating a lot and still going to the bathroom. I was hoping someone could tell me if I should be concerned or if this was normal.

Best wishes,

Robin

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort: You've a cute little tort.:<3: I do not think there's anything to worry about. Please give him/her daily soaks in warm water and make sure his/her enclosure is:

a) warm enough
b) humid "

By the way, could you post a pic of his/her enclosure? :)

acalirobin

From my experiences, some leopards will pyramid no matter what. Not a horrible pyramiding, but noticeable. So don't lose any sleep over a bit of pyramiding. It appears to have some pyramiding started, but the new growth may be better...it's hard to tell when the growth starts out so maybe post another picture in about a week.

It's been about 2 months.

acalirobin

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort: You've a cute little tort.:<3: I do not think there's anything to worry about. Please give him/her daily soaks in warm water and make sure his/her enclosure is:

a) warm enough
b) humid "

By the way, could you post a pic of his/her enclosure? :)

Thank you so much, I'll post a pic when I get home. He gets about a 20 minute soak every day in warm water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Do you have any idea why such torts pyramid?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Do you have any idea why these torts pyramid?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Robin:

If I'm not mistaken, I THINK what you're worried about is the white color in the new growth, right? Don't give that another thought. What you're seeing is the "leopard" pattern starting to come in. That's a beautiful little tortoise.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Robin:

If I'm not mistaken, I THINK what you're worried about is the white color in the new growth, right? Don't give that another thought. What you're seeing is the "leopard" pattern starting to come in. That's a beautiful little tortoise.

Good call Yvonne. I automatically assumed it was a pyramiding concern without stopping to think.

acalirobin

Hi Robin:

Thank you so much! I was worried that he was growing out of his shell or something horrible was happening. He's such a happy little guy, he does this little tortoise dance when he see us lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good call Yvonne. I automatically assumed it was a pyramiding concern without stopping to think.

Yeah. I'm so sorry we have put so much emphasis on the pyramiding angle. We've got everyone all worried about a few bumps on the shell.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yeah. I'm so sorry we have put so much emphasis on the pyramiding angle. We've got everyone all worried about a few bumps on the shell.
So true, Yvonne. Pyramiding has been a real issue for us tort owners. A...phobia!

Pawciorc

Malta
Hi All,

Best wishes,

Robin

View attachment 184135 View attachment 184136 View attachment 184137
If I am not mistaken, the question was not about piramiding but about the growth pattern. For me looks weird, front upper part of carapace seems to grow faster than the rest. Same overgrowth we can se on both sides and slightly at the back part. Some sort of deformaton in progress I would say.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd like to see pics of the enclosure and hear the details about heating, lighting and temperatures.

Do you every spray the carapace with water?

Looks like your soaking water needs to be a little deeper too.

acalirobin

He spends most of the time outside. We live in a hot less humid place.

His inside house is at 80 all around with humidity varying from 50 to 80 depending on when the air conditioner is running. Changed up the lights from the spiral to the tube and changed the food from khale, mustards greens and spinach to escarole, dandelions, and endive and some weeds I pick from around my house.

The water just looks low because I didn't fill it to take the photos.

IMG_20160820_135204087.jpg IMG_20160820_135259575.jpg IMG_20160820_135329007.jpg IMG_20160820_135334388.jpg IMG_20160820_135204087.jpg IMG_20160820_135259575.jpg IMG_20160820_135329007.jpg IMG_20160820_135334388.jpg