Is this lightg suitable?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
https://www.thetortoiseshop.com/tortoise-lighting?product_id=223
I've had my hermanns for 4 days now and this came with the set up I bought for him. Is this light bulb enough or do I need to upgrade? This is a mix of UVB and heat.
That is what we call a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) it provides both basking heat and UVB in one bulb. You don't need anything else for UVB.

Be aware that the UVB output of these bulbs drops off long before the bulb blows, typically after 6-9 months. So you must replace the bulb frequently.

Those clamp fittings are not to be trusted. The clamps fail and the fire risk is high. Hot basking bulbs must point down vertically to get the optimum temperature underneath (35-37C/95-100F) ... so it is better to hang the lamp from a lamp stand. You can buy reptile lamp stands online easily

To control the temperature under the bulb you raise it (makes it cooler under) or lower it (makes it hotter)

A temperature gun type thermometer like this is best for measuring spot temperatures like under the basking lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We don't have that brand over here, but it looks okay.

The only way to answer your question is to put a thermometer and a UV meter under the bulb. If you have the correct basking temperature and the correct amount of UVB being produced, then that bulb alone is good to go. Without those two things, we can only guess.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If the ambient temperature isn't warm enough day or night you will also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) which gives off heat, but no light.

This must be used with a thermostat which means it only cuts in when needed.

A CHE looks like this and must be in a ceramic lamp holder as it will melt plastic ones!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495399431.801458.jpg

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
how much uvb is good for a tortoise? I heard somewhere they need 120 watts not sure if 70 is fine or not.

RaphsMama

5 Year Member
I'm also wondering how the wattage plays into it all as I need to get my tort a new bulb I currently use the 100w powersun but it's too pricey for how often it needs changed. I'm wanting to switch to the bar style reptisun I believe it's called but I know the wattage is significantly lower

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wattage is heat. It's useful to know for a basking bulb or MVB and for ambient heat from a CHE. More watts = more heat output.

For UVB it's the percentage figure that tells you how much UVB is given off (typically 5.0 or 10.0)

For a MVB bulb you need to be aware that the UVB output declines pretty rapidly after about 6-9 months, long before the bulb blows, and this the UVB output can only be taken as a starting point.

Last edited: